• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Frame Titles

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My course was kicked back from our 3rd party reviewer for 508 compliance. I would appreciate any help as I don't understand how to fix it. I am looking at the html5 files and am not seeing anything that I can work with. The reviewer stated, "cite the FRAMES"  and gave the following examples.

1. course_View_page.k2?pageID=815&bgColor=&text=&background=&deficientView=0   

xNo title attribute on this <FRAME>.

2. course_view_navbar.k2?wbtClassID=109&moduleID=481  

3. seatTimeUpdater.k2?wbtClassID=109&moduleID=481

Help? Thanks,Carol

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accessibility is a very broad topic and most of these 'reviewers' take an overly strict interpretation of the documentation.  

You need to provide more information.

• What type of output is this? SWF or HTML5 or both?
  • Is the content being served from an LMS for review?  If so, has the reviewer stipulated whether the frames he is talking about are in the Captivate content or the frameset being used by the LMS to display the course?
  • Ask the reviewer which specific part of the 508 accessibility standard they are referencing.  It might help to know the wording.
  • Captivate content uses inline frames to display things like Learning Interactions, widgets, OAM animations, videos etc.  Do you have any of these in your content?  If so, did you set up the accessibility text in Captivate for these when you created the project?
  • The Adobe website has quite a lot of information about accessibility.  Have you reviewed this information to check what it says about frames? https://helpx.adobe.com/au/captivate/using/creating-accessible-projects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

Thank you so much for responding.  I will look into what you sent, and I am familiar with the Adobe Captivate Accessibility website.

To answer your questions;

The output is HTML5 only, and they do view it on an LMS (K2Shared). The 508 standard is 22(i), “A frame’s Title or Name in non-descriptive. Example: The frames do not have title attributes”.

To keep it simple and pass 508 I have no interactions, widgets or animations. This is a 7 module course and I have one video in the beginning of one module which is closed captioned. I even kept my TOC button based.

I have checked Captivates’ accessibility text, and publishing options.

What is this I keep reading about HTML5 does not support frames? Is that something different?

Thanks again,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you read that HTML5 does not support frames?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron;

https://webaim.org/techniques/frames/#accessibility Under "Use correct document type", "A page that uses frames should have the correct document type. The code example below shows a doctype for a frameset page that uses HTML 4. The proper frameset doctype lets screen readers and other browsers know that the document consists of multiple frames. Of note is that frames are obsolete in HTML5, so one should not use frames with the HTML5+ doctype"

I am not an html person so maybe I am misunderstanding? Maybe that's why I can't figure it out?? 🙂

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK.  I see what you mean now.  Yes frames (i.e. framesets) are not part of HTML5, however iframes (i.e. inline frames) ARE supported.  So, the distinction is a bit subtle, but the statements made by that website are correct. 

However, to my knowledge Captivate output only uses iframes, not frames or framesets.

The 508 assessor that knocked back your content because there was no accessibility text in the right place said it had to do with <FRAME> tags, not <iframe> tags.  Additionally, the code snippets he included do NOT look like the kind of terse html code that Adobe uses. 

Was the reviewer viewing your content from an LMS? If so, it was quite common for older LMSs to use framesets to display content. Your reviewer might actually be knocking back your Captivate content because the LMS framesets are non 508 compliant.

These references look more like they might belong to the pages of LMS.  Take this example: 
course_View_page.k2?pageID=815&bgColor=&text=&background=&deficientView=0

That's GOT to be a reference to the LMS page displaying the content, not the content itself.

I think you need to go back and get more detail from the assessor.  You might also need to talk to your LMS vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources