Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate HTML output on sharepoint

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm trying to put a captivate project published in HTML on a sharepoint site, but unfortunately all the .js and some of the .css are in an unreadable compressed format when i publish it, therefore i cannot look for the links to replace to the sharepoint folder's URL.

Is there a way to export a project without any compression, and or even into one folder? Publishing creates multiple subfolders for the different assets which unfortunately I'm unable to upload at once (no folder upload is allowed).

The basic idea is to put the package on sharepoint where javascript is enabled, then put an iframe or a content editor where i can reference to the starting html.

Any help would be much appreaciated!

Thank you.

Edited: I just realised if i could publish the project directly to sharepoint that would solve it, is that possible anyhow?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Hello RodWard,

Thank you for your answer. Apparently, after debugging a bunch of errors and tricking the system I made it work. No JSON is required.

For those who are interested in the process, here is a high level step by step explanation:

1.Create Project in Captivate

2.Publish it in HTML directly to a folder on sharepoint  (you can get the folder path by opening the sharepoint library in IE then choosing View in File Explorer option. Right click on the folder, select Properties so you actually

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate does not have a 'publish to SharePoint' option.

SharePoint is not really a viable platform for Captivate HTML5 output because you don't have any way to publish the output without all those folders and compressed JS.  You would also need to have your SharePoint server set up to all JSON files, which most of the time will not be possible.

I recommend you try to find a way to just publish your content to a webserver that you can link to from SharePoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RodWard,

Thank you for your answer. Apparently, after debugging a bunch of errors and tricking the system I made it work. No JSON is required.

For those who are interested in the process, here is a high level step by step explanation:

1.Create Project in Captivate

2.Publish it in HTML directly to a folder on sharepoint  (you can get the folder path by opening the sharepoint library in IE then choosing View in File Explorer option. Right click on the folder, select Properties so you actually get the server path. I also published the package onto my local drive for faster editing after publishing onto sharepoint. It is important to publish directly to a document library because copypaste sometimes changes folder names and stuff.

3. Open the index.html file of the training, and edit the references to the assets (picures, js, css, etc...)

4. Replace the original index.html with the updated one on sharepoint.

5. Create a page on sharepoint that supports the addition of content editor webpart.

6. Link index.html to the content editor (watch for weird characters in the URL such as (sites/:r/:l) and any reference to line items in folder  at the end of the URL.

7. Save it

8.Cry, because it will not work

And here comes the funny part:

9. I realised that the Sharepoint my company is using configured in a weird way, and it disregards subfolders when reading the links.

For example, a picture from the project was stored on .... sharepoint.company.com/sites/SiteName/SiteAssets/ProjectName/Published/picture.png

the references in the JS and HTML files were also the same, but when I saved the content editor,  a 404 error was thrown with the following message:

Picture.png was not found bla bla, and the path were it was trying to find it was

sharepoint.company.com/sites/SiteName/SiteAssets/picture.png

Notice that the ProjectName/Published/ subfolders were not taken into consideration. Again, every reference in the project files were correct, but sharepoint dropped it for some reason.

10. I moved the missing file to where Sharepoint was trying to look for, and suddenly it was working.

11. I then moved the previously missing files to ther ORIGINAL location without changing anything in the references in the code, refreshed the page, cleared cache just to make sure, and it was still working.

Optionally you can put the training in an iframe on a modern sharepoint site where content editor webpart is not available to make it appear. (But you must have the actual project to run in a content editor, then link it into an iframe).

Hope it helps someone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Daniel,

Can you explain more what you mean by the following?

- Open the index.html file of the training, and edit the references to the assets (picures, js, css, etc...)

What are we going to edit in the filw. Sorry I'm not a source code editor type a person, but if you can send me an example code of what is edited, I should be able to do it myself. Will appreciae your response on this. Thanks.

Jaya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nothing I will do... to much work.. first put together a project and then all this work... no thank you... but now I dont have to vaste my time.. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources