Highlighted

Captivate - Link to file server

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning! I am having a bit of a problem with links inside a Captivate file I am creating.

Instead of a link to a URL (http:), the clients have document stored with a URL that starts with F:// .

We can't get it to open. Have any of you had the same problem? Did you solve it?

I tried removing accents (French words) and the blank spaces, but it's still not working.

Thank you! Annie

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Captivate - Link to file server

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning! I am having a bit of a problem with links inside a Captivate file I am creating.

Instead of a link to a URL (http:), the clients have document stored with a URL that starts with F:// .

We can't get it to open. Have any of you had the same problem? Did you solve it?

I tried removing accents (French words) and the blank spaces, but it's still not working.

Thank you! Annie

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Captivate forum from Get Started

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Annie,

I'm a MacOS user, but was once a Windows user. As far as I know an F:\\ - drive represents a removable storage device like a flash drive (memory stick). I'm not surprised, that a link to such a drive doesn't work, because:

• this device is probably not present in your development setup
  • it is a local drive after all and the security configuration of a browser does not allow to access a user's local data

You client's document should be hosted on a web server or cloud server with the ability to share links under the HTTP protocol.

Klaus

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 1
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Klaus!

We will try to find a way to make it work 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be a  partition as well,  not necessarily an external drive. However it is true that you should not use an URL to a local drive. You can embed documents and provide a link (need to put them in the Callees folder after publishing). Or you upload the documents to a webserver, and create a link in the last scenario. I mostly use that last scenario, since it is easy to edit the documents without having to republish the Captivate file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer!

These files are in an ERP where they manage all their HR documents. I am trying to see if we can create URL links from the ERP.

Otherwise, I will try to embed the documents.

Thanks again! Annie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019 0