Highlighted

Captivate not loading, blank slides & unable to save

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Hi,

I have been having issues with my Captivate for quite some time now, I completed the update a few days ago which seemed to stop the problems but they have returned again.

When I load a project, all of the slides are blank. It then gives me a message to say that my captivate isn't supported by the file & that I don't have permission to open the file/or that it may already be open (nothing is open-it won't allow me to open a single thing)

I had worked on a project most of yesterday- saving it throughout the day & at the end of the day the whole project crashed, an error message appeared & then the whole app closed down & didn't save any of my work. The project I was working on was actually deleted from the file it was saved to & there is no trace of it on my computer at all.

This is preventing me from doing my job, so any help would be really appreciated. Adobe haven't given me help on Twitter & their live chat is down.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Captivate not loading, blank slides & unable to save

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Hi,

I have been having issues with my Captivate for quite some time now, I completed the update a few days ago which seemed to stop the problems but they have returned again.

When I load a project, all of the slides are blank. It then gives me a message to say that my captivate isn't supported by the file & that I don't have permission to open the file/or that it may already be open (nothing is open-it won't allow me to open a single thing)

I had worked on a project most of yesterday- saving it throughout the day & at the end of the day the whole project crashed, an error message appeared & then the whole app closed down & didn't save any of my work. The project I was working on was actually deleted from the file it was saved to & there is no trace of it on my computer at all.

This is preventing me from doing my job, so any help would be really appreciated. Adobe haven't given me help on Twitter & their live chat is down.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version (full number) and OS do you use? Is Captivate installed on your local system, not on a networked or external drive? Do the paths in Preferences, General settings point to folders on your system? If you are on Windows do you Run Captivate as Admininstrator?

Check the size of the Cache folder, and clear it if necessary.

You can also Clean the Preferences if you suspect that CP has become corrupted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hii - thank you so much for responding!

I am using the 2017 Release 10.0.1.285 version. The path leads to My Adobe Captivate Projects which is in my documents on my computer. Yes I think we run captivate as Administrator but I am unsure (nobody here to ask for more info). Sorry to be clueless, how do I clean the preferences? Also unsure of where I would check the size of the Cache folder & clear it?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A message just appeared "A fatal error has occured and the application is being terminated. Adobe Captivate has tried to save all your work in the respective project folders as .cpbackup files. Please re-start Adobe Captivate"

Restarted Captivate & nothing has been saved, & its not opening anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention that you have a My Documents folder, but did you check whether that My Documents is located on your local computer hard drive or on a network server?

The kind of errors and crashes you are seeing generally turn out to be due to some kind of conflict between Captivate and another software application on your system.  You need to track down where the conflict is.

Take a note of the time of this particular latest crash and get your IT people to look into the Windows System apps that show what the errors are and possible causes.  If you are lucky they will be able to find the reference to this crash of Captivate and it will give the name of the DLL or file that caused it.  Once you know where the conflict is, you can often resolve it.  So first things first, look for the error log file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the easy way to clean the Preferences, you need administrator rights. Look for the subfolder 'utils' under the installation folder of Captivate and run the CleanPreferences... file appropriate for your OS. You didn't answer my question about OS, Run as Administrator is needed for Windows.

You find the path to the cache folder in Preferences, General Settings. You also find the button 'Clear cache' in that same location.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken your advice & emailed our IT Dept asking them to do exactly what you've said above. I don't have Administrator Rights so it is fairly difficult to fix the problem myself.

Thank you for your help Guys

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0
VickieM LATEST
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ellie,

Suggestion:  This is only a suggestion.  Ask the IT Department to try running in Compatibility Mode.  Note: Do not perform the following on your own.  Have the IT Department try the following.

-Right click on the Adobe Captivate icon.

-Select the Compatibility tab

-Under Compatibility Mode check the box for “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”   Then select the version of Windows from the drop down menu.

-Under Privilege Level: Check the box for “Run this program as an administrator”.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2018 0