When testing my course in SCORM Cloud, images/text on a slide are freezing and not displaying the next image(s)/text. The slide audio continues playing, so I know it's not an issue with a pause point.
Unfortunately, the behavior is not consistent; as sometimes the slides perform as programmed; and then on the next launch of the course the slides that previously played fine will now have images/text that freeze.
Some of my slides have effects applied to the images and text. I removed these effects, but that did not resolve the issue.
I've provided screenshots of 3 slides where the freezing sometime occurs.
Has anyone else experience this?
Is there advice on how I should tackle this issue or what may be the cause?
It has been quite a while since I used the Breakpoint Views workflow for a responsive project.
The slides are very long, which should be avoid whenever possible since you aim also at viewing on mobile devices. The second screenshot is puzzling: why is that slide so long, since there is a big part where nothing happens anymore, audio is finished and button timelines are also unnecessary long.
I would recommend to leave a gap before (3 slides) and after the audio timeline (slide 1). It takes time to load audio On Enter for each slide. But that will not solve the freezing. The cptx file is rather large, but what about the size of the published file? You can have an estimate by using the Check button in the panel 'Project info'. I fear it is really too big to watch the course on a phone.
I cannot see pausing points which could explain the freezing. The pausing point on the menu button is not necessary, you are always pausing with one of the two Next buttons (forced view first visit I suspect). You have - at least for this forced view slide - an advanced action On Enter checking a variable. Do you have more advanced actions?
The issue was a pausing point. My co-worker pointed out that I had duplicate buttons on the starting slide which had a pause point. As this slide is skipped when the project starts, I thought the buttons wouldn't effect the playback. Once I removed those buttons though, the freezing disappeared.
Thanks for your feedback and comments. The 150MB is actually the size of my published files; as the project has branching and a number of slides. I am noticing some lag with loading and will explore ways to reduce this size.
I couldn't see any pausing points in the posted screenshots, because that is always my first focus. But you found them...
That is way too big for a project which can be viewed on mobile devices. It is not so much branching or number of slides, but the size of audio, video, graphics. Know that an application like PhoneGap limits apps for mobile devices to 10MB. Take out or replace the heavy objects for the lower breakpoints. Reduce the parameters for setup of audio, video to the lowest possible with acceptable quality. As for graphics: create them in exactly the size needed for the desktop view, don't use resizing in Captivate for that first breakpoint.