• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Publishing options in a non-Flash world

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What publishing options will Captivate offer going forward?

Will the only options be HTML5 and video only?

If you want functional training, what will be the options other than publishing HTML5 (intended to be on a server) for non-LMS publishing (DVD, USB)?

It is well known that Flash at end of life. So there has been plenty of time to prepare for the death rattle of Flash. Unfortunately multimedia PDFs require Flash, Exe publishing requires Flash, and video publishing kills any interactivity and requires manual linking to any CC information per video.

For most training developers we have the requirement of publishing to a LMS primarily as well as publishing to a DVD or USB.

What is the plan for Captivate publishing options going forward in a non-Flash world?

TOPICS
Advanced , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

What has been stated is that the future is currently HTML5.  

If there is another new technology out there to replace HTML5, we don't know about it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum.... you should contact Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I disagree with Lilybiri in this case.  There's no point contacting Adobe about this because they will never answer such a question to a mere user of their software such as yourself.  They would never want to risk giving their competitors a heads up about their future plans.   You will find out what future publishing options will be available in Captivate when we all find out about them, when that future version of Captivate gets released.

Having said that, feel free to log an enhancement request for alternative publishing options on the enhancement reporting form on the Adobe website. You won't hear anything back from Adobe about it, but you can still add your voice to vote for what you personally might want to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Rod, but you don't get any reaction to whatever feature request posted, have tons of them.

For a real answer only Adobe can do so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in hopes that something had been stated in the years of the known death of Adobe Flash in a newsletter, conference, blog, or article. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has been stated is that the future is currently HTML5.  

If there is another new technology out there to replace HTML5, we don't know about it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason that you can not publish HTML5 to DVD or USB or any other storage medium.  HTML5 publish packages will run with out a server...Just open the index.html file with chrome or similar browser.....One featue I am aware of  that does seem to 'break' it is the native captivate playbar - not sure why I haven't debugged it bc I rarely if ever use it.  

The other thing that is on my list to try but I haven't gotten to this yet is converting a captivate HTML5 package into an electron app.  Electron is a node server based cross platfrom app creator..... If you have used Slack you are familiar with electron......It uses standard javascript, html5 and css and bundles it as a desktop app.  Might be another possiblity...I am also hopeful this could work because it would give Captivate far more power bc we could access the file system and do things not typically available from a client side publish.

I wouldn't fret much HTML5 compatibility, support, frameworks and expansion is growing at an expontial rate daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Electron is used by a few of our developer teams. 

I will have to follow up with them and see what our options are for weaving in our exciting projects. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it on good authority that Adobe will deprecate all features and publishing options that rely on Flash technology in the next major release.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good info to know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources