• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate quiz accessibility woes

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all. I'm new to Captivate and am having some stressful challenges making my training module accessible / ready for easy use with a screen reader. 

On quiz slides, I can get the reader to read the answers, however, it is not reading the question. AND, once I manage to submit a response, the feedback is not read by the screen reader either. 

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't provided enough information with this question. 

• What level of accessibility are you attempting to achieve?
  • Which accessibility standard are you adhering to? (There are at least a couple.)
  • Which screen reader software apps are you using to test the output?
  • What Captivate version are you using? 
  • HTML5 or SWF output? 
  • Are these stock standard quiz question slides or have you altered them in any way? Etc, etc.

There are lots of reasons why Captivate output might not be performing the way you expect when it comes to accessibility and without extra information we'd have no way to know for sure what to suggest.

Adobe has quite a bit of information on its website about Captivate's accessibility scores for different versions.

https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/compliance/adobe-captivate-2019-win-acr.html

Have you investigated what they say on the website?  Are you following the recommended suggestions?

Be warned that as a newbie Captivate developer you are likely to find this area quite challenging because accessibility can become quite complex and clients tend to have unreasonable expectations.  Achieving higher scores for accessibility usually means simplifying your course content greatly and not being able to use many of the features Captivate might have otherwise brought to the table.  In the end, almost nobody is 100% satisfied with the results because it's either "not accessible enough" or "not engaging enough".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the thorough response, RodWard. To answer your questions, I'm adhering to WCAG 2.0, using NVDA on Chrome to test a training module made with Captivate 2019 and outputing to HTML5. I used standard multiple choice question slides and only altered the text (question, answers, and feedback) and added some background design features and a navigation menu. But, even when I try starting fresh with a basic multiple choice quiz slide with only minimal text changes, I'm still having the same screen reader issues. The only text that the reader will read are the answers (not the question or feedback). I will continue to read through the resource you sent carefully -- thanks for sharing, and for any additional help you can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources