Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate storing answers between sessions

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a course for a client with a lot of text entry boxes and it's a long course, so the learner may not finish in one session. In our test LMS, the answers in the text entry boxes are retained as long as the learner stays in the session. However, if the learner exits the course and later goes back to any of the pages with text entry boxes that they had previously answered, their answers are no longer there. Any suggestions? I have the option to "Retain Text" in the properties checked and Self-Paced Learning and Enable Navigation checked in the TOC settings. The course does resume where the learner left off, but as mentioned, if they revisit any text entry slides, they have to reenter their answers. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

This is unfortunately the default behavior of Captivate. What’s happening when the file loads is all the Text Entry Boxes are instructed to show the end-user what’s stored in the Default Text field, which can be nothing if you’ve not entered anything in the field. Even though each text box is using the Retain Text option, the project was instructed to use the default text when it loaded which doesn’t check with each Text Box to see what their Retain Text setting is. This is why you end up with e

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is unfortunately the default behavior of Captivate. What’s happening when the file loads is all the Text Entry Boxes are instructed to show the end-user what’s stored in the Default Text field, which can be nothing if you’ve not entered anything in the field. Even though each text box is using the Retain Text option, the project was instructed to use the default text when it loaded which doesn’t check with each Text Box to see what their Retain Text setting is. This is why you end up with empty text entry boxes when you re-open a closed training.

The only way I know of changing this behavior is by using the plugin CpExtra which is available from Infosemantics. The page on their site that talks specifically about how to retain text using the plugin is located here, http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/preference-variables/teb-behavi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael! That sucks, but at least we know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title is not really covering the question itself, which is only about TEB's.  I wonder if Michael did test this out with CpExtra for that behavior in between sessions? Did you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did which is the reason why I mentioned it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Thanks for the confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources