• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate thinks Video Demo recording already includes Pan & Zoom

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded a Video Demo in Captivate, and am now editing it.  I have trimmed out bits of the video, and am attempting to add a pan & zoom effect that I will need to carry across several separate clips.

I have done this in the past with no issue.

This time, it will not allow me to start a zero second pan & zoom effect at the very beginning of a clip because it believes there is already a pan & zoom effect that lasts 0.1 seconds at the beginning of each clip.  There is no marker for any p&z effect on any of these clips, and I cannot figure out how to remove this "phantom" effect so that I can add the intended effect to maintain a smooth zoom across multiple clips.

Has anyone encountered this before, and can provide any advice on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version are you using? I don't fully understand your question.  I have used Video Demo,  but carrying a Zoom over several clips I never did see possible. In the msot recent version there is a problem with the Speed if you zoom out after zooming in, it will not be respected but happens abruptly. I logged this as bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

I am using the 2019 Release, version 11.0.1.266.

Technically a zoom will not automatically carry over several clips, as it is an effect added directly to a video clip, rather than a separate "object".  As a workaround, the following can be done:

1. Initial pan & zoom effect is added to the first clip; assume this is set to the default speed of 0.5 secs;
  2. A pan & zoom effect is added to the second clip, with the exact same scale, size and position; however, the speed is set to 0.0 sec, and the effect is set to start at the very beginning of the clip.

Using this workaround, the second clip immediately starts with the exact same zoom as the prior clip, effectively giving the appearance that the zoom is continuous.

In this case, Captivate will not allow me to position the p&z effect at the very beginning of the second clip.  Instead, it "bumps" it to the 0.1 second mark of the second clip.  In the past, I was able to set the effect to the 0.0 second mark of any clip without issue.  Forcing the effect to the 0.1 second mark results in the video momentarily jumping in and out of the zoom at the beginning of each clip, rather than maintaining a smooth, continuous appearance.

Upon further review, there is a triangle shadow from 0.0 to 0.1 second on the timeline for each of my video clips, giving the appearance that there is already an effect in place at that time.  However, I have added no effect, there is nothing indicating what effect is there, and there appears to be no option to remove the effect.

So, essentially the issue is not directly related to chaining together the zoom effect, but rather that the software seems to believe there is a 0.1 second effect at the beginning of each of my video clips (originally recorded via video demo), and will not allow me to set a pan & zoom effect to begin at the 0.0 second mark of any clip.

I hope that makes it clear.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your workflow. I have the feeling that something is awry with the zoom effects in this release, related to the speed. In a previous answer I mentioned already that speed with Zoom out is not repsected at all? Please, log a bug report.

Since I now use most video demo to create interactive video, where I choose the clips based on where I want to insert an overlay slide, this is not so important. Even  in previous releases I used static objects to separate clips, or one of the video transitions. I never felt the need for your workflow, which I now understand. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I cannot test on an older release neither, which is a pity, to check what has been lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thank you for your reply.

I took another look and was able to figure out how to correct the issue.  Even though the existing pan & zoom effect on each clip (which I did not add) did not have the normal magnifying-glass icon, I was able to carefully position the cursor over the tiny triangle, right-click, and remove the effect.  I will now need to remove this effect from all of the clips in my project, before I proceed.

Again, I did not add these phantom p&z effects, so I am not sure why they are present, why they remain on both halves of a clip, even if it is split/trimmed (not normal functionality for the effect), or why the effect does not feature the normal icon or behavior.

Again, thanks for your help.  I will log a bug for the issue to be reviewed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources