Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change state of image on multiple slides from 1 advanced action

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a start screen where the user chooses an avatar (1 of 10) they also type in their name.

The entered name and chosen avatar then need to appear across the rest of the slides in the project. So it feels like they are 'in a game'. I envisage there to be at least 200 slides.

At the point of choosing these settings, I want to be able to set both these variables once, in one place easily.

INSTANCE PROBLEMS

I guess I have to label each instance on every slide: Avatar_Slide1, Avatar_Slide2...  & PlayerName_Slide1 etc etc - This alone seems a huge task.

Question 1:

Is it possible to have an instance that is set globally across all slides? So that I only need to target and Change State once?

I also tried to use the Master slide but found out I couldn't target elements within it.

ACTION PROBLEMS

Assuming I have to label each instance on every page, rather than having to then write 200+ times:

Change State of : Instance name 1 : ChosenAvatarVariable

Change State of : Instance name 2 : ChosenAvatarVariable

Change State of : Instance name 3 : ChosenAvatarVariable

etc...

Question 2:

Can I use the expression or javascript tool to iterate through the instance names instead?

Where SN = Slide number

Change State of : Instance name[SN] : ChosenAvatarVariable

(I am not a JS programming, but understand the fundamentals)

Any help or advice on this topic is much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

You talk about the Master slides: does this mean that you use always the same image of a chosen avatar in the same location? In that case use the workflow to put the avatar on the first slide and time it for the rest of the project. At that moment you need only one ID.

It is certainly possible with JS, hope a JS expert will pop in. However I also recommend to have a look at the CpExtra widget (HTML only) created by InfoSemantics Australia. It is a real Swiss knife and you can use it for your purp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You talk about the Master slides: does this mean that you use always the same image of a chosen avatar in the same location? In that case use the workflow to put the avatar on the first slide and time it for the rest of the project. At that moment you need only one ID.

It is certainly possible with JS, hope a JS expert will pop in. However I also recommend to have a look at the CpExtra widget (HTML only) created by InfoSemantics Australia. It is a real Swiss knife and you can use it for your purpose as well. More than worth its cost. Here is a link:

Introduction to CpExtra | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

You can have a free trial. Warmly recommended (I am not associated with them, be sure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Yes, the image will always remain in the same place. The timing! 'Rest of project' I hadn't noticed that before. I will try this.

- I will also look at this widget.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to tell about a limitation with 'Timing for rest of project'. If you are designing a fluid boxes responsive project, this probably will not be possible. Sorry about that.

Use the timed for the rest of the project. You will have a unique ID for it, which you can use in actions if you want to hide the avatar on some slides....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking at CpExtra, the functionality you need to be looking at are @syntax and #syntax:

@syntax | Infosemantics Pty Ltd

Tristan's videos on that page mostly explain the concepts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have now implemented this and it works very well

I tried also to use the same approach on a button, am I correct in thinking it is not possible to use 'Timing for rest of project' on a button?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Timed for the rest of the project is only possible with a shape button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources