Highlighted

Changing Quiz "Default Labels" for Incorrect Message for Captivate 5.5

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Experts,

I am trying to change the "default labels" for incorrect message for my existing Quiz slides. However, it does not get reflected. Is there a way I can change, e.g., the default label for incorrect message from "...press Y to continue" to "xyz" for my existing quiz slide and get that reflected.

Regards,

Roshni

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Changing Quiz "Default Labels" for Incorrect Message for Captivate 5.5

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Experts,

I am trying to change the "default labels" for incorrect message for my existing Quiz slides. However, it does not get reflected. Is there a way I can change, e.g., the default label for incorrect message from "...press Y to continue" to "xyz" for my existing quiz slide and get that reflected.

Regards,

Roshni

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change these default labels at Quiz settings > Default Labels > Correct Message and Incorrect Message fields.

However, you need to be aware that changing these label defaults will have no effect whatsoever on the Success and Failure captions that are already present in your project.  Only new captions added AFTER the change will display the new text.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very late to the game, but this thread keeps showing up in Google searches so I figured I'd share my experience today.

You can indeed change your Success and Failure captions after you have already generated your Quiz questions. Naturally doing all of this first is best, but what if your client decided on a wording change down the road? 🙂

Simply go to File > Export > To XML...

In your text editor, open the resultant file and do a find/replace for all the caption text you want updated ("Replace All" gets them all done at once). Note that soft returns will result in a garbage ASCII character that will have to be hunted down and deleted before re-importing the XML file. Predictably, that's done by selecting File > Import > From XML...

Once done, you'll find that all your captions have been magically changed. I'd recommend changing the messages in your settings as well, so that in the future if you built more questions for your course, their caption contents would default as desired. Otherwise all you've done is manually change the content on the slides themselves, not the course settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, Keytar. I am working on a Spanish version of our training and I need the text on the "Correct" and "Incorrect" buttons to display the Spanish version of the text.  I exported the XML file, made the text changes, saved the file and then imported the XML file.  However, I didn't see any changes to the text on the buttons.  In fact, if I import the XML, save and then export the XML I don't see the changes I made.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is 2 years old, but in case anyone else finds the thread... The XML edit worked for me. I had already created English questions & changed from English to local language, but changing the responses in 'default labels' did not update if you replace the text... Maybe a refresh XML button would be a good feature Adobe?

So, in Captivate export to XML, and import to Dreamweaver. Find the English phrases, copy from text in Dreamweaver (copy from word  doc did not work..) & use 'replace in current document'. Replaced all instances. Save the XML & import back into Captivate. Wait... patiently... All updated fine! Thanks Keytar!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble with changing the color of the correct/incorrect text. Any ideas how I can change it? Doing it thru the regular menu is not reflecting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is VERY old, talks about a version which was released 8 years ago. If you are on a more recent version, please start a new thread and mention the exact version you are using as mentioned under Help, About Captivate.

Themes, which include object styles were introduced with version 6 about 7 years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group