• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Checkmark Character in Captivate 2019

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to add a checkmark character into the text animation properties field using Alt (ASCII) 0252. However I do not get the check mark? Is there a way to code a checkmark character into the text animation properties field?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a WingDings character, but you'd need to test whether that font exists on all systems including mobiles.  I doubt that it does. 

The Text Animation object is actually Flash SWF-based.  So it is not compatible with HTML5 and should not now be used anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron, thank you for the response. I am not concerned with an HTML5 output, so the text animation object has utility in this case. I a seeking the caracter coding  (ALT XXXX) that might produce a checkmark inside the Captivate text animation field. The field does reflect wingdings, but the coding does not appear to produce the checkmark consistent with standard protocal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I will try again.  The Text Animation object in Captivate is actually a widget, not a component like all the other parts of Captivate that deal with displayingn text (e.g. the Properties tab).  Since it's a widget it needs to be programmed to understand and accept the character coding method of text input that you are trying to use.  But it's not specifically programmed to understand that input and so it doesn't work.  It's actually very basic.

Now if you are expecting that Adobe will come to the party and reprogram this widget for you, I think you will be disappointed, because it's been common knowledge now for several years that all SWF components have no future in Captivate.  In fact, it's unlikely you will see this component in future versions of the app.  It hasn't really been all that popular.  The only animation it offered that was even mildly useful for serious e-learning was the typing text animation, and that was only used when you needed to simulate text entry in a field.

As for not being concerned with HTML5 output, I am afraid that's about the only output you will be able to use in the near future.  SWF/Flash is being deprecated and currently does not work in many browsers.  Multimedia PDF output is really just SWF that requires an embedded Flash Player plugin in Adobe PDF Reader, but that is also now deprecated. EXE output is also SWF wrapped in a self-running executable player.  Aside from HTML5 and other variants of it (e.g. the APP for mobiles) you don't really have any place you will be able to use the animated text widget, and still have expectations of seeing it work next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some people seem to come from a lockdowned far away planet....without even digital media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources