• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed Captioning on and Event Video

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can't use closed captioning on an event video, so I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with any other method for closed captioning, even if it's somewhere on the screen besides the video itself, and I'm really struggling. Could someone offer me suggestions?

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to put the transcript of the voiceover in a caption or Smart Shape and have that appear on screen.

This can work for a very short video, but not for a longish video with lengthy audio.  Also there's no easy way to time when multiple captions would need to appear or disappear.

If you really need Closed Captioning for a video, and you have no way to make the video include its own captions when it is processed, then you'd be well advised to just go with Multi-Slide Synchronised video and then use the normal Closed Captioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if there is a way to create a modal popup? That would be a great alternative, I just need some kind of video script that can open up on screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what a modal dialog is.  But I don't think you have thought this problem through.  If your video goes for several minutes, how will you be triggering exactly where the different text appears in the modal popup?  Captivate doesn't provide a way to do this for Event Videos because their timeline is not connected to the main project timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be the whole script in one modal, they'd just scroll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to dynamically add a .vtt file to the video and have true closed captioning.

I can't copy and paste from my current computer in a web page, but if you Google 'dynamically adding text tracks to html5 video'

There is a blog by Ian Devlin that shows how to do it. vtt file a very finicky to format correctly, but they work great.

The only difference is that to get the video tag at the top of his post, you will have to use:

var video = document.getElementsByTagName("VIDEO")[0];

You will need to drop the vtt file in the callees folder and adjust the path in the example to reflect that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources