• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed Captions do NOT show when publishing HTML and checking scalable...

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Captivate 2017, non-responsive project. When setting up CC to 100% width across my project and publishing as HTML...checking scalable HTML content... the closed captions do not show up at all when viewing my course in Chrome. It seems to work in IE. This was never an issue in version 9. Can someone else test and verify this is a bug? Thanks

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, not able to test because Ihave that version no longer on my system.

Can you check if  you re using the most recent version wich is 10.0.1.285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...we are running version 10.0.1.285. It must be a bug.

Lieve, could you test this in your 2019 version and verify for me whether the bug is in that version as well? Just curious.

Thank you both for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just discovered this same issue today as well. If anyone has any help that would great.

Thank you - Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes. We are on version 10.0.1.285 of Captivate 2017. We are noticing that when just publishing as HTML5, the captions do not show up when played back in chrome. When publishing as HTML5 & SWF both, the captions show just fine. This is concerning as we don't want to use swf with that going away in the near future.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check only in Chrome?  Only on desktop/laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tested in I.E. & Safari and captions show up in those browsers when just published HTML5. Have tested both on a laptop and desktop computer.

We are curious too if this is corrected in the 2019 captivate version and if we'd just need to upgrade as it might be a bug in the 2017 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same version of Captivate 2017 as you, as well as Cp 2019.

I created a new blank project in both versions, added two Smart Shapes to the first slide, published out with Scalable HTML selected and could still see the shapes in Chrome browser.

I don't see this as being a bug in Captivate.  There must be something else going on.

Try creating a new blank project as I did above (not using any custom THEME) and just add a couple of Smart Shapes to test what happens.  Do you see the shapes when you make no changes to the Theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing:  I am on Windows 10.  Which OS are you using?  This might be an issue ONLY with Chrome browser on a MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Rod. We haven't experienced issues with smart shapes. We were specifically talking about Closed Captions disappearing when published with scalable.

I should also note that when I scale the browser window down to what looks like the project size (1024x627), the CC appears.

I am on Windows 10. Tested in IE and Chrome only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.  I saw the mention of 'captions' and wrongly assumed you were talking about text captions or smart shapes.

I will try to test this out in another project tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rod and/or Lieve,

Could one of you test this issue with CC not showing in Chrome when published scalable HTML5 in version 2019 with the patch? LFMisty said they were experiencing the same issue in 2019, but I just want one more person to test it. We (my team) have been considering upgrading to 2019, and a bug may need to be reported. I am very surprised that this has gone unnoticed in two versions.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this bug is in Captivate 2019 as well. The bug only appears in Chrome and if you resize the window the closed captions will appear correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I as well discovered today while testing, if I drag the window and scale it down the closed captions show up.

I am also on Windows 10, tested with IE, Chrome and Safari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleagues and I have Captivate 2019 and we're having this same issue, so upgrading won't fix it. Publishing with HTML5 and viewing in Chrome does not show the captions. Viewing in Firefox does show the captions. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLDR Version: If your chrome window is larger than 1080, no CC will display.

Here's the way the Closed Captioning error presents for us.

• Latest 2019 version of Captivate. Latest version of Chrome.
  • Publishing project in only HTML5 format (No SWF) and "Scalable HTML content" checked.

When viewing the project in Chrome, and Chrome is full screen maximized, if your monitor's resolution 1080, the CC will show. But if you have a monitor that supports anything larger than 1080 (ex 1920x1200, QHD, 4K), it won't. You'll have to shrink your chrome window to dimensions under 1920x1080 to view them. At least that is our work around, for now.

I think that's why it took so long to get discovered and isolated; not everyone is working with a resolution over 1080 . This was tested by us here in the office. If someone else would like to confirm this, please leave your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did some testing of monitor size vs. project size for scalable checked/CC showing in Chrome and as Joey0027 mentioned, this does play a part in the CC not showing. We were developing our courses at 1024 x 627 and my monitor is set to 1920 x 1080. The CC did not show at this course size/monitor resolution. After testing MANY different course sizes and monitor resolutions, thinking it had only to do with width for a while, we found that it was actually the height of the course vs the height of your monitor resolution that affected our courses. For my 1920x1080 monitor the CC would break at full screen and also maximized on a course set to 900 px height....but then worked at 925 px height. So, there is a threshold. I logged this as a bug with Adobe bc there were no issues in version 9, and it would be helpful if others would test and do the same I believe. It seems like it would be an issue for many people unless they are developing at larger sizes already. I am still interested in what other people find as well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same issue of the closed captions disappearing at larger resolutions using Captivate 2019.  For us it is only in Chrome, HTML5 when the screen width gets larger than about 1220 in width.  We produce our content at 1055 x 576. My monitor is 1920x1080.  I've reached out to Adobe and they said they are trying to replicate it, so it is on their radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had the same problem - when are they going to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem in a course I built in CP2017. See the video below. However, when I open the file in CP2019, the problem seems to no longer exist. On the other hand, I believe some of you have indicated that it's still a problem in CP2019. Windows 10, latest version of Chrome, running the lesson locally from my computer. When I run it from SCORM Cloud, it doesn't seem to occur, however my client is running it from SCORM Cloud and it occurs for him. So I don't know what to think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the issues both with 2017 and 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix that worked for me in Chrome and IE but not Safari (at least not so far). You have to modify the "index_scorm.html" file after publishing.

Open the published "index_scorm.html" file. Before the end style tag (</style>) add this text: #playbar, #ccText {-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;}

(I've added that code to my default index_scorm.html file in my applications so it does it automatically when publishing now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try it!

Onward and Upward!

Tim Rogers | 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent the last few days with this same exact issue troubleshooting. Original project created in Captivate 7 (1600x900 size), then updated to Captivate 9...both having no issue with proper CC display when published to HTML5 and displayed full screen on my 1920x1080 monitor, or scaled-down any size from there.

Making minor updates to content (few graphics/audio updates), I republished in Captivate 2017 and this is when all of a sudden no CC display in Chrome and a hint of IE trying to display/inconsistent display/no display on the same full-screen monitor resolution mentioned above.

Thanks to all those who shared in this thread, I opened by Cap 2017 published file and scaled down to see that in fact, CC did display below 1080! (huge sigh of relief that it wasn't me corrupting my own file in some way). I went ahead and added the code recommended by moyco and BAM...all is well again in full screen viewing for both IE and Chrome. However, we do have a large population of Safari users so I realize this is still not resolved...

Adobe - please let us know when you have a fix for this! We have enterprise ADA requirements we must adhere to and cannot have our audio courses go out without CC. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources