• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed captions on button click

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen some posts form the past on this saying it is not possible to have closed captions show when audio is played with advanced actions. 

Is this still the case? All these updates and this still isn't figured out??

Does anyone have any solutions other than having multiple text boxes that are timed, because that seems extremely tedious....

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Synchronization is essential for Closed captions. That is only possible when audio and CC are linked to the Captivate Timeline. If you play audio with an action triggered by a Success event of any interactive objectt, it is impossible to know when exactly that click will happen, which means you don't know on which frame in the timeline. How could you then synchronize with the default CC which is linked to the timeline? To me that is logical. If you need CC you need synchronized slide audio. Avoi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronization is essential for Closed captions. That is only possible when audio and CC are linked to the Captivate Timeline. If you play audio with an action triggered by a Success event of any interactive objectt, it is impossible to know when exactly that click will happen, which means you don't know on which frame in the timeline. How could you then synchronize with the default CC which is linked to the timeline? To me that is logical. If you need CC you need synchronized slide audio. Avoid other types of audio. Instead of a Play audio command triggered by a button click, use micro-navigation to move to the frame where the slide audio is getting to that specific audio. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, 

I understand why the original closed captions doesn't work. I just think, as a suggestion to adobe, that they find some way to have have it within advanced actions. Closed captions is essential, and mandatory to many that create these courses. I would think that there would be some way to trigger a series of text to appear or a seperate closed captions to appear. 

Thank you for the suggestion of micro-navigation though. I didn't think of that. It looks like a rework either way though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lieve explains, you cannot have the default Closed Caption text display when using the Play Audio action.  The default CC text is attached to slide audio only.  

However, when triggering audio via Advanced Actions you DO have the option of having Show actions that display hidden Smart Shapes that contain the text for the triggered audio. If you style and size these Smart Shapes to look identical to the normal CC text area then the learners will probably not know.  It's definitely in the realm of a workaround, and a bit tedious to set up (because you also have to use Delay Next Action by [duration of audio] and then Hide actions to remove the Smart Shapes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RodWard  I thought OP was aware of that workaround but wanted to avoid it and blamed Captivate. That is why I 'tried' to explain the reason why automatic synchronizing is only possible for slide audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources