Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

compare find and replace feature in Captivate 9 and 2017

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Would you mind sharing your experience using "Find and Replace" feature for text and content in Captivate 2017 and compare it with Captivate 9? Are there any improvements?

Personally, I found this feature functioning very poor in Captivate 9.

I would appreciate sharing your experiences in 2017 version.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

The Glossary is a Learning Interaction widget.  The Glossary text is therefore held in an XML file that is totally separate to the rest of the text in Captivate.

Expecting the standard Find and Replace function to locate and edit all of these references is not realistic because a Widget is essentially an external component that just runs inside the Captivate environment.  It might LOOK like it's part of Captivate when the end user is viewing it in a browser, but it's not the same as other text y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No improvements, there was even a bug in the first release, where code from slide notes was also included in the Find and Search feature. Maybe you should explain what you want to see changed, maybe log a feature request?  Are your courses perhaps very text-heavy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply, Lilybiri. The answer to your question is yes. My courses are text-heavy. So, you are not satisfied with Captivate 2017. Some other friends told me the same. Appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be careful about making the assumption Lilybiri's comments meant she is "not satisfied with Captivate".  She is usually one of the most ardent defenders of this application.

As with any software application, there are always areas where improvements in functionality could be achieved, but in my experience Find and Replace in Captivate works reasonably well.   You mentioned you found the functionality in Captivate 9 lacking in some way.  Could you be more specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Rod.

Of course! Captivate 9 can't find the words in the glossary to replace them. Would you be able to check this for me in Captivate 2017?

Appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Glossary is a Learning Interaction widget.  The Glossary text is therefore held in an XML file that is totally separate to the rest of the text in Captivate.

Expecting the standard Find and Replace function to locate and edit all of these references is not realistic because a Widget is essentially an external component that just runs inside the Captivate environment.  It might LOOK like it's part of Captivate when the end user is viewing it in a browser, but it's not the same as other text you might be seeing on the same slide (such as for example the slide heading or the Closed Captioning).

In order to edit the text in the Glossary widget, you have to open the Widget Properties dialog and manually edit from there, or else edit the XML file that you are uploading into the Glossary Learning Interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rod,

I really appreciate your reply. You answered my question perfectly. Now I know what is the problem.

I will recommend all of my friends and colleagues to come here with their questions, looking for you.

Best,

Rana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did not write that I am not satisfied with CP2017, only that the Find and Replace feature has not been improved. Personally I very rarely use that feature, think that there are easy workarounds (using word processor) and CP2017 has many improvements and new features, more than worthwhile. All depends on what you find important and that can be rather different in between users. To quote a Flemish saying, to me it often looks  like users are 'blowing up a mosquito to look like an elephant'.  Look at the many threads about AutoPlay disabled, which only needs one click more from the learner, annoying like a mosquito bite, but not as dangerous as an elephant blocking your car....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lily,

I am sorry that I misunderstood your comment. I appreciate that you honestly replied to my question. And your last sentence was well said!

Have a great one,

Best,

Rana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources