• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Completion certificate that autofills name and date?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to make a certificate for the end of the class that will put in the current date and student name automatically.  I've been round and round trying to figure something out.

The certificate widget is almost useless.  It won't let me change anything and just doesn't fit our needs at all.

The student needs to print a hard copy when done.

Any ideas?

thanks

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Are you asking for the name of the student during the course? Using a Text Entry Box and validating to check if it is not empty.

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/where-is-null

The TEB has an associated variable that you can show in a text caption (or a shape if you use CP6)  by inserting the var using the X icon in the Format accordion. Since you posted this in the Get Started forum, do not be offended by my offering another article about variables:

Use variables

As for the current date, you can use t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking for the name of the student during the course? Using a Text Entry Box and validating to check if it is not empty.

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/where-is-null

The TEB has an associated variable that you can show in a text caption (or a shape if you use CP6)  by inserting the var using the X icon in the Format accordion. Since you posted this in the Get Started forum, do not be offended by my offering another article about variables:

Use variables

As for the current date, you can use the system variable cpInfoCurrentDateString inserting it the same way in a text caption or shape. This date is in the typical American way formatted, let me know if you do not like it, will be more complicated in that case but can explain.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super Awesome!  I figured it out and it works great! THanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question:  

Right now I have 2 slides.  ON the first the user enters their name as they would like to see it on the certificate.

2nd slide is the finished certif.

An unscrupulous user could navigate back one slide and enter the name of a friend, then print another certificate.  He coud do that for his whole office so noone else would have to take the required course...

Any ideas?  Maybe make it impossible to navigate back 1 slide?  How?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

And this is why Learning Management Systems are popular. Think it through. If they can navigate back a slide and you manage to stop that, what's to stop them from simply reloading the lesson and working their way back to the slide again? I suppose some randomization of slides and question pools might help that case.

To prevent returning to the "gather the name" slide, you might use a variable to track the number of times the page has been presented. If greater than one, hide the Text Entry Box and present a hidden caption with the existing name. (using the variable)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick offered you a functional solution. I was wondering if you provide a playbar or are using custom buttons? Without a playbar, you could choose not to have a 'back' button on the second slide as well. Another possibility, if you use a play bar, is again creating a tracking variable for the number of visits, and immediately have a Jump to Next slide (or whatever you want) if the variable is greater than 1. Then they will never really see that first slide again.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An LMS would be great, but the powers-that-be won't allow us to use one.  Not even a free one.

The tips about using variables sounds good, however I can't figure out how to actually do it.  The autofill stuff from earlier in this post was my first attempt at using variables.  Can anyone help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my first article about variables? Here is a second one:

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/871/cpsid_87182.html

Which work flow do you want: Rick's or mine?

In both cases you'll have to define a user variable, I will label it  v_tracker

For the advanced action, that will have to be triggered on entering the slide with the TEB, could you first tell me which version of CP you are using?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Lilybiri I did read your articles, thanks much!  Rick's method makes sense to me but I can't figure out how to actually do it.  I get the concept, just can't make it happen.

I'm using CP 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like bluegroove380, I am having difficulty figuring out exactly how to implement yours or Rick's suggestion. I'd appreciate some more detailed steps for this particular situation when you have a chance. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I have the same issue.  Would Appreciate if you could list the steps you took.  appreciate it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pleass start a new thread instead of posting in a thread which dates from 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri

I am also creating a certificate and using variables to auto fill the Learner name and the completion date. I'm using Captivate 5.5 and  have used $$cpInfoCurrentDateString$$ however, as you pointed out, it is calling the date in US format. How can I have the date produced in UK dd/mm/yyyy format, please?

Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, sigh, one of my frustrations, I already logged multiple times the request to be able to have the Date in more than just that US-format (is not even an internation ISO-format), but discrimination towards everyone outside of US remains still 'normal', perhaps because too few people are logging that kind of requests.

Only way I know is to 'compose' your date, using other system variables cpInfoCurrentDay, cpInfoCurrentMonth, cpInfoCurrentYear  but then there is the problem that for day and month you'll have one or two digits depending on the number. Only a bit complicated conditional advanced action could help you there. Do not try to concatenate the result of those variables, that is not working, you have to put them next to each other:

$$cpInfoCurrentDay$$/$$cpInfoCurrentMonth$$/$$cpInfoCurrentYear$$

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri, thanks for that! I've resized my certificate jpg so that it will print in portrait, as I can't get it to print in landscape, entered my text entry box so that the learner can enter their name, and now I have d/mm/yyyy...but it's calling the wrong day now! Instead of getting 15/10/2012, it is returning 2/10/2012. Any thoughts on why this is happening or how to correct please?

Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is strange... perhaps a stupid question: is the system date correct on your PC?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri - yes; we're synced to Greenich Mean Time. Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there a variable that the LMS passes to the course to get the Learner's name so it autofills?  I'm trying to figure this out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cpQuizInfoStudentName and cpQuizInfoStudentID are populated by those LMS's that support this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources