• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content Display on Click of 3 Click Boxes

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 3 images as Click Boxes. On clicking of these 3 boxes, I should get another pop-up (Or a content box rather) that suggests the user to click next along with some feedback content.

I should be able to click any of these three click boxes randomly and still get the content box.

I am fairly new to Captivate. It would be great if someone can suggest me the solution here.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure to understand your request fully . You also didn't mention whcih version you are using, nor if you talk aout a non-responsive or a Fluid Boxes responsive project. I wrote two blog posts, comparing two possible workflows, one foe non-responsive, and one for Fluid boxes. Have a look at:

Force Clicking Hotspots: Comparison 2 Workflows - eLearning

Forced Clicking Hotspots in Fluid Boxes Project - eLearning

You say 'use images as click boxes', which may be due to your being a newbie. A click box is an interactive object which is invisible to the learner. Only in 11.5.0.476 is it possible to use an image directly as a button withou having to insert it in a smart shape used as button/. I just published two blogs describing all the types of buttons available in Captivate:

Which Button Type? - Part 1 - eLearning

In that first part I explain the old type of buttons. You'll see click box mentioned, but since it cannot be used in a fluid boxes project, I don't explain more about that older type/ The second post talks about the newer types:

Which Button Type? - Part 2 - eLearning

You'll find the ibitmap and the svg used as button in this post, as well as the shape button which can be filled with an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. I am using or I have placed the click box on top of these 3 images. (I am aware of the clickbox functionality). The user will basically click these 3 images to reveal their respective content.

Let's assume these are the 3 click boxes.
A       B       C

On clicking any of these boxes randomly, the end result will display a content box. Let's name this Content box as "X"
The content box basically has the feedback text for the user to take the next step.

So after clicking these 3 boxes the output would look something like this on the page.

---------------------------------------------

A       B       C

X

---------------------------------------------

I will anyways read through what you have suggested as well. But please check and let me know if it makes sense to you this time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using a version which is older than Captivate 6 (7 years old), do not use a click box over an image but use a shape button filled with that image. I already mentioned that click boxes are not even supported in a Fluid Boxes project.

If you are on the most recent version, 11.5, you can even use the image directly as button. Read the last blog for which I posted a link.

For the content use a multistate object. You can start with a shape, which you make invisible in the Normal state. Then you add 3 states, one for each of the contents A, B and C.  Use the command 'Change state of....' when clicking a button (if you don't change to a button, the click box).

The blog about forcing clicking hotspots explains that workflow, but adds on top of it, that the next button only appears when all interactive objects have been clicked.

I suppose here that you do not create a Fluid Boxes project, but a non-responsive project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Broadly speaking - Here is what I would do.

I would create a variable that we might call varClicks

The content box that is to appear will be hidden.

All three of your buttons would include an action to increment varClicks as well as an if statement to check the value of varClicks

such that - if varClicks is equal to 3 show the content box.

Depending on any other requirements this approach may tweaking.

Hopefully that makes sense and is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StagPrime I have full explanation in those blogs I pointed to.

He is not talking about a forced view, nothing to happen when all has been viewed. In that case no variables are needed.

I already discussed with you before, that using acounter in case of a forced view, will no work unless you disable the other click boxes. Learner can click three times on the same interactive object.

Sorry for my popping in, just want to avoid confusion fro a new Captivate user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - must disable the other box - to prevent multiple clicks.

I do this all the time in various projects and it works very well to achieve the desired result.

I do forget to mention it though, when I offer my approach on that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not always the wanted way, I rarely have to  disable because it is restriction of the learner's control.

Since there was no wish here to have something happening when all hotspots had been clicked, no need for variables at all, nor advanced or shared actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But our friend does want something to happen after all are clicked.

A box with additional information is to appear after all three have been clicked.

The desire is to also randomize the order of the clicks.

They also want each of the three boxes to reveal content of its own prior to the fourth appearing. So we have some other stuff happening when items are clicked as well. I can appreciate the use of a hidden box with multiple states to get there.

That may very well be easier.

To be honest - my personal preference would be to assign a variable to each box to track the click in such a way that it only increments the value on the first click. Once each box has its variable tripped - we reveal the final box. Meanwhile - I can click around on the other two all I want without seeing the final box.

I prefer variables because they give me more control to create the desired effect with flexibility for when minds or circumstances change.

I totally get the state change idea for revealing the three content boxes tied to the images but I admit to not quite grasping how you are tracking whether those images have been clicked or not without a variable to know they have all been clicked before revealing the last feedback box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workflow with a condition for the last object to appear i completely described in the blogs I poste in my first answer. There are even two different workflow: one with hide/show (only for non-repsonsive projects) and one with a multistate object which I recommended here.

I have explained the workflow with a variable for each hotspot  so many times in the forums, that I did write out that blog post. There is one for non-responsive rpojects, and one for fluid boxes projects: Sequence is not imposed, free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps we are not on the same page - talking about different things, maybe.
And at the same time I think we agree.

Your example describes what the original poster wants using variables.

That is my whole point. We need them to pull this off.

My last comment to you was really less on how they are used and more on that they are used.

I don't see how to make that next box appear without tracking with variables.

Original poster requires a box to appear only after the condition that all three others have been clicked.
I believe that requires a variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reason: I had not understood from his sketch that he wanted a fourth object to appear. That was in the first question, hence my links to the blog posts I mentioned where a conditional action with variables was used.

His sketch didn't show that fourth object, so I was wondering if he only wanted click to reveal interaction.  You proposed a counter variable, without mentioning that it meant disabling a click box when it had been clicked once. That for sure was not in the original question, and as I tried to explain, I don't like preventing the learner from seeing a popup more than once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - I admit that perhaps I may have misunderstood the requirements.

We saw them differently.

If there is no fourth pop-up - I concur with the method of simply going with state changes.

That is the route I would take in that case as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is often the problem, and I am not a native English speaker as is also the case for many visitors of the forum. Retrieving the correct information can be tough. Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pop-up problem? btw in captivate it's defend on your imagination..   you have 3 images on one page right? and if you click it you can see a pop-up? or content box? in captivate it work like this you create a btn per images and point it to the page that have a design like pop-up box and have a close btn to go back to your original page..

to make it simple its just like next page btn  but its not always next page btn because you have 3 pages .. if you want to learn more you can email me: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very outdqted workflow,  which (old) version do you use? That is the workflow we had to use in Captivate 4, about 11 years ago.

Please, do not insert personal data. As a moderator I took them out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry about that.. yes im using captivate 4 11 years ago and now im starting to learn latest version captive 2019 but it's my nature to used my experience on old version.. heheh i hope it works..  because it works for me.. but the side effect is that you create a lot of page and the size of your data is much bigger,,  thanks i hope i can learn more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot compare that simple step from CP4 with the big engine (Porsche) which is Captivate in its present version.

Focus is on creation also for mobile devices, multiplying slides is bad practice in that case and totally superfluous: you have grouping, powerful advanced actions, multistate objects etc. Have a look at this comparison:

I already mentioned them, but would be interesting for you, to uncerstand why I told 'outdated workflow'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted thank you so much for the knowledge that you share i'll try it and make a demo for it on my clients thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!! I will need time to go through all the comments and apply this in Captivate.

Is it possible to share the file I have for anyone of you expert to have a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is what I feared, indeed. Sorry, but I decided a while ago not to accept files for debugging.

If you need something to happen after all clickable areas have been clicked at least once, you need the information in:

Depending on the type of project. I recommend the workflow with multistate object.

If you don't need to have something happen after all have been clicked, just the popups, you do not need variables at all. Just create the multistate object with a Normal state which is empty, use a shape with no Alpha nor stroke width. Add a state for each popup and use 'Change State ....' as command for the clickable areas..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources