Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert learning content from AICC to Scorm

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can you suggest a good tool to convert my AICC learning material to SCORM?

I want to be able to track course completions in my LMS, therefore, AICC will not work?

Thanks,

HG.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the original project file you can simply edit the Preferences > Quiz > Reporting screen and change the Standard from AICC to SCORM 1.2 and simply republish your project with those new settings. If all you have is the published project and don't have the source CPTX file, I'm afraid this nothing you can do. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The vendor said they will create the course to be AICC compliant. Not sure if that means they will share the file with us, or they are planning to host it and provide a link.

If they are just providing a link for the AICC, there is no way for us to track course completion?

Appreciate your quick response!

HG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Course vendors usually won't supply you with the source files for their courses because that's giving away their intellectual property.  

Both SCORM and AICC standard can track course completions.  Both are just different LMS integration standards.  The difference is in the way the integration code is written. AICC is an older standard, but it does have the advantage in certain situations where the source of the content needs to be on a different server to the LMS.  However, SCORM is usually preferred by most businesses.

So, why do you think you need to have AICC?  Is it because your LMS only accepts AICC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The vendor rejected SCORM file  request but said that they can provide an AICC compliance video.

With this information, my question was:

1. Can I convert the AICC to SCORM and host on our LMS to track course completion.

But this was assuming they provide me the physical AICC file (instead of hosting it on their server)

2. If the vendor is planning on hosting the AICC and provide me a URL (is this possible), Is there a way I can track who completed the course? 

Sorry if I am repeating.. bit confused here..

Thanks,

HG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AICC and SCORM are two completely different LMS integration standards.  Unless you happen to be a programmer with high-level expertise in coding for both standards, there is no way I know of to convert one form to the other.  I know of no software app that will do it automatically for you.

An AICC package is a zip file, but inside that zip file are lots of other files. An e-learning authoring tool like Captivate can easily publish to several different standards including AICC, SCORM or xAPI.  However, I have found that many off-the-shelf course vendors create their own home-grown course wrappers and they might not be willing to change what has worked for them in the past just to accommodate you.  If your LMS can accept an AICC URL instead of uploading a zip package then the answer to your second question would be YES.   

Your vendor is probably choosing to use AICC because of its ability to handle cross-site delivery of learning content.  It gives them greater control over their intellectual property. They essentially don't want you to get your hands on the files but only to pull the content from their server while tracking the learner interactions in your own LMS.  However, that would require that your LMS is capable of working with AICC.  Not all LMSs can do this because AICC is rather an old standard nowadays and the vast majority of LMSs in the world stick to using the SCORM standard.

So, did you eventually find out the answer to the question I asked in my last post about whether or not your preferred LMS is cable of using AICC?  If not, and your course vendor will not provide you with a SCORM version of their course, then that would tend to put you at an impasse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
When you hired this vendor, was SCORM 1.2 a requirement? If it was that would be a failure to meet expectations. I would look for another vendor. In theory you can link to a course they house if it's done properly but if your LMS doesn't support AICC then it won't report. Sounds like a square peg and a round hole scenario
Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources