• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/Paste from/to Text Entry box during course

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all you Captivate gurus out there!

For reference, I am using Captivate 2019, latest version (as of 9/2020).

My client's course (a software simulation based course) requires the student copy text from one field (of the software application) and then paste that informtion in a different field on a different tab of the application.  Here is what I did to allow this to occur: On the screen of the first application tab, I created a Text Entry box over the field to be copied. That Text Entry box has the information entered as Default Text so it is showing when the student enters that Captivate slide. The student then clicks in the Text Entry box, highlights the text and the peforms a copy shortcut (ctrl+c).  Then, a few slides later, there is another Text Entry box over the field where the text is to be pasted. The student clicks in the field (the Text Entry box) and then does a ctrl+v to paste.

The above works just fine in Captivate Preview mode.  HOWEVER, I discovered after publishing this does not work properly. When trying to the copy (ctrl+c), the course does not recognize the ctrl+c (or v on the later slide). It does advance properly when pressing only the ctrl key.

What do I need to do to get the published version (published only to HTML5) to recognize the full keyboard shortcut of ctrl+c or ctrl+v?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Before anyone asks, because of the sensitive nature of the content, I am unable to share the Captivate code.

Thanks and cheers,

Russ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answer yet, means this is a tough question.

I just did some quick double-check because my intuition told me that this may be possible when using a Scrolling Text interaction to replace the Text Entry Box. It seems to work, but I only checked in Preview HTML in Browser.

I may write a blog about this possibility, but would like some more details:

1. Do you need to score the TEBs? Because that is easy with a TEB which is interactive, but a Scrolling Text interaction is static.
  2. Do you need to copy/paste within the same slide or on multiple slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts exactly - no replies means no solution know (yet).

For clarification, my problem only occured after publishing. However, I did not preview in a browser (will need to go try that). Just did normal preview modes.

Regarding your 2 questions: These are not being scored, just part of mutliple activities in the course.  The copy is being done on one slide and the paste on another slide. HOWEVER, the paste is not using the actual value of the copy. The instant the student presses the ctrl+v, the next page is displayed showing the "pasted" content, which actually part of the screen capture. BUT, the action of performing the ctrl+c and ctrl+v is what is required for the application (to copy content from one field and paste it in a different field on a different tab of the application).

Hope that makes sense.

We are using a work-around for now, but if there is a solution to get the browser in the published course to recognize the ctrl+c (or v), that would be ideal. THANK you for your efforts.

Cheers

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works perfectly with Scrolling text interactions. But since you have another workflow, will not put more efforts in my workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri
Our "work around" is not ideal so I tried to use the Scrolling Text widget interaction. I made sure to turn off the border, fill, etc. so only the text is shown. The Read Only didn't seem to make a difference. This approach worked well in the Captivate preview. To pause the slide and then move forward when the Ctrl key is pressed, I used a click box in a different part of the slide (if you have a different suggest than the click box, I'd love to hear it).
When I previewed in HTML5 Browser (Chrome was used), when I clicked on the text to be copied, the frame of the widget appeared. Also, because the focus of the browser was now on the scrolling text object, the click box was not recognizing the Ctrl key to move forward.
I am interested in how you got the Scrolling Text widget to work in the HTML5 browser preview. The frame can’t show and it must recognize the Ctrl key as the interaction (and must work when the Ctrl is actually Ctrl+c or Ctrl+v).
Thank you for all your efforts.
Cheers,
Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use it with Read Only, you need to turn that off and assign a user variable.

You still can have a default text but you allow interaction by the learner. CTRL-C can be used to select (part of) the text, and CTRL-V to paste it. I stopped further exploration because you didn't want to use my suggestion. I often replace the TEB by a Scrolling Text interaction for multiple reasons.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/scrolling-text-interaction-to-replace-text-entry-box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Sorry if you misunderstood an earlier comment. Your input and suggestions are highly valued and appreciated. Our "workaround" is NOT optimal and if we can find a workable solution to the copy/paste HTML5 browser issue I'll gladly work with it.

I did try the scrolling text box with the Read Only turned off (and tried with it on and it didn't seem to make a difference, but left it off).

I liked your example from the post your link above took me to. But that example had the same issue I experienced; when the scroll box is clicked the border of the box is displayed. Unfortunately, that is not acceptable for our project. 

Think of a software application that would be used by a sales agent, completing a large quote for a client. The screen is full of fields and information. The task the agent has is to copy information from a field on one tab of the software and then navigate to another tab and paste that info into a field on that tab.

Our course is trying teach that copy/paste activity to the learner. I checked and the application's context menu (right click menu) does not have a Copy or Paste command, so that's out. The scrolling text box widget would be the ideal solution except for the border showing when it is clicked. Is there anyway to turn off that "feature"? What is happening now is when I click in the scrolling text box to highlight to copy the text, that box appears over screen captured background. See example I created for you below:

screencap02.png

Here is how I have the widget configured. A variable will be used in the actual project.

screencap01.png

The scrolling text box would be the perfect solution, if we can just get rid of that border when run in HTML5.

Thanks for your past and future assistance.

Cheers,

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized I uploaded the wrong Scrolling Text Box widget configuration screen capture. Here is the one I actually used in my example above.

screencap01.png

Thanks and cheers,

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not with the borders. You can resize the interaction so that the border is just outside of the stage. However, you can only copy/paste text within the same interaction not between different Scrolling text interactions.  That would have been possibble if editing the associated variable resulted in showing that up in the interaction, as was the case for SWF output. In that case you can time the interaction for several slides and use the On Enter action to clear or edit the value of the variable. That is not possible for HTML5 output. One of my many feature requests which I gave up to repeat for each new version (asking since HTML5 output appeared with CP8).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your input! It was a great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources