Highlighted

Cornerstone LMS bookmarking specific page every time?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a course composed of 3 lessons, designed in Captivate 9 and administered through Cornerstone LMS. I would like the learner to start at a splash screen that lists the 3 lessons, and chooses which to complete next. When learner completes a lesson they are returned to splash screen and a check mark appears on the lesson list to indicate which lesson was completed. This is simple in Captivate if the learner does not leave the course.

But let's say the learner does leave the course after completing the first lesson. Upon returning, I would like the course to resume on the splash screen, and for the previous lesson completion information to be retained and displayed (check mark on lesson #1 for example).  Also, if the learner leaves in the middle of, say, lesson #2, and then returns, I would like them to again land at the splash screen. The splash screen now would show that lesson #1 has been completed, and that lesson#2 is partially completed. Learner could then resume lesson #2 or choose to skip to lesson 3 (or repeat lesson #1 I guess).

My limited experience with LMS bookmarking suggests that the learner will be plunked back into the middle of Lesson #2 if that is where they stopped last time. Not ideal. I would prefer that they always land on the splash screen, and then resume from there (and that all previous completion details be preserved and displayed on splash screen).

Much of the functionality is straightforward within Captivate, but I do not know if I can get the LMS (Cornerston) to resume at the splash screen everytime, and if the completion details (check marks, partial lesson completions) will be preserved.

So, can this be done? Thanks for your input!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cornerstone LMS bookmarking specific page every time?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a course composed of 3 lessons, designed in Captivate 9 and administered through Cornerstone LMS. I would like the learner to start at a splash screen that lists the 3 lessons, and chooses which to complete next. When learner completes a lesson they are returned to splash screen and a check mark appears on the lesson list to indicate which lesson was completed. This is simple in Captivate if the learner does not leave the course.

But let's say the learner does leave the course after completing the first lesson. Upon returning, I would like the course to resume on the splash screen, and for the previous lesson completion information to be retained and displayed (check mark on lesson #1 for example).  Also, if the learner leaves in the middle of, say, lesson #2, and then returns, I would like them to again land at the splash screen. The splash screen now would show that lesson #1 has been completed, and that lesson#2 is partially completed. Learner could then resume lesson #2 or choose to skip to lesson 3 (or repeat lesson #1 I guess).

My limited experience with LMS bookmarking suggests that the learner will be plunked back into the middle of Lesson #2 if that is where they stopped last time. Not ideal. I would prefer that they always land on the splash screen, and then resume from there (and that all previous completion details be preserved and displayed on splash screen).

Much of the functionality is straightforward within Captivate, but I do not know if I can get the LMS (Cornerston) to resume at the splash screen everytime, and if the completion details (check marks, partial lesson completions) will be preserved.

So, can this be done? Thanks for your input!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you ask would only really be practicable if you create all there 'lessons' in a single CPTX which then becomes just a single SCORM object to upload into your LMS.  There are some customisations that you would need to build in, but that's basically the way you would need to go because if you create each lesson in a separate CPTX then you would lose the ability to have this customised menu slide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod.

I feel like I’m talking to a rock star…a Captivate Rock Star! Anyway, thanks for the quick response. I agree that creating as a single Captivate, with the splash page tracking built within Captivate, is the best option. But I do not know if I can set the Cornerstone LMS to always return the splash page if the learner exits in the middle of one of the lessons. If the learner was required to leave the course FROM the splash page (that is, navigate back to the splash page before exiting), then perhaps that would work…LMS was see splash page in current state as exit and resume point. But learner behavior is not always predictable.

Do you know if there is a way to tell the LMS to always resume the course at a specific page (splash page in this case), regardless of exit point?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn off bookmarking, course will always start from the begiinning, but may not be what you want, unless the splas screen is on the first slide?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to resume on the splash screen if a learner leaves and then returns. But I want the splash screen completion information to remain. For example, if learner completes lesson 1 of 3, a check mark appears next to lesson 1 on the splash screen. If learner then leaves and resumes later, I need that completion checkmark to remain active.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Lieve says, if you disable the Resume Data Bookmarking in your Captivate module (by selecting the option Never Send Resume Data) then the course will always begin from the very start each time.

For your Splash page to be seen first each time, it would need to be at the start of the course, probably the second slide (given that we generally do not encourage developers to put anything much on the very first slide so that everything loads properly before starting).

However, in order for the Splash page menu items to be showing completion status for the learner, you would need to be saving/persisting the values of some custom user variables.  It might be possible to have the LMS store these for you and give them back in the data, but not all LMSs do this automatically. You'd need to do some testing with your LMS to see if it conveniently works that way.

On the other hand, if you are using HTML5 output, then you have the option of persisting the user variable values to Local Storage on the user's PC and retrieving these same variables when they reload the lesson.  If you know enough JavaScript you can pull this off in code.  If you don't have that skillset, then the CpExtra HTML5 widget has functions to persist variable data easily to Local Storage:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/cpextra/help/data-persistence

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in theory, if I am able to save/persist some variable values using one of the methods you mention, I would be able to feed them back to the course when it resumes, and repopulate the splash screen with completion markers (checkmarks, etc.) indicating current status?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0
RodWard LATEST
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  You need to persist the variable values somewhere so that they can be retrieved when the user resumes viewing the content.

The advantage of persisting the variables in the LMS is that the learner does not need to be using the same PC when they resume for all of this to work.  The LMS is independent of the hardware they are using.  However, if the variables are persisted on the PC, then the learner would ONLY be able to use that same PC when they resume otherwise the variables will not be available and things would break.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 0