• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupted Project

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work, I was tasked with converting old .cp files from 2009 to .cptx files so we could re-publish them in HTML5 since Flash is being deprecated.

There were 4 projects needing converting - 2 converted fine but the other 2 somehow lost a lot of content in the conversion - rollovers, buttons, and a ton of regular text. I thought I could just go back to the .cp files and re-convert but somehow the .cp files have the same corruption. The info was all there before the conversion and has been confirmed by a colleague. All I did was open the .cp file in Captivate 6 and re-save as a .cptx. The modified date for the .cp file is still showing as from 2009.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong and why a simple save-as action made me lose a lot of content? And how I might be able to recover it, if at all?

(I am not a Captivate developer nor do I play one on TV so please be gentle and explicit with any instructions)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really understand what you mean by corruption? You talk about losing objects, text, but that may be due to use of old AS2 in those files, which is no longer supported since CP5.  That is the first hurdle, not everything in cp files is supported in cptx. So much has changed. Have no idea why text disappeared, but was that static text or was it animated with Text animation which is also SWF-based?

If this is not a very interactive project, you may record the project as video while the SWF-file is playing, and convert the video to an interactive video to add some interactivity and/or Knowledge check slides.

Rollover slidelets are SWF-based, they will never convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I totally get what you're saying about the convertibility but here's the thing.... they were there last week when I saved them as .cptx and reviewed the project for missing info after saving. But now they're not after I tried republishing as HTML5.

AND, only 2 of the 4 projects have this missing info issue - text and buttons. The same kind of objects are displaying just fine in the other 2 projects that were also re-saved as .cptx and republished as HTML5.

A little research suggested that missing info may be due to saving the projects on a network instead of my hard drive, although I really have no idea if this is the issue...

"Working on project files over a network – Another big cause of project file corruption in Captivate is the ill-advised practice of storing project files on a network drive and using Cp to directly access and work on these files over the network. All it takes is the smallest glitch in network traffic at the same moment your file is being saved to render it beyond repair. This is why Captivate authors are repeatedly advised to maintain all currently active project files in a folder on your PC hard drive rather than on a LAN."

https://infosemantics.com.au/how-to-recover-corrupted-adobe-captivate-projects/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, you should never work on a CP-project from a networked drive. You didn't mention this in the first question.  But I sincerely doubt that copy/paste to a new blank project, which is the default workflow to detect corrupted slides/objects would be a solution in this situation. I suppose that is the workflow proposed by Rod under that link.  Since there is so much missing.

Is it not possible to redo the conversion with CP6? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources