• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Course minimum time and inactivity limit. Captivate 9.

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I need to build a compliance course with a 2-hour minimum time and an inactivity limit (so the student can't just walk away and come back).

If the student is inactive, for say 5 minutes, the course should close but bookmark their progress and save the time duration so far.

I will be using Captivate 9, publish as SCORM 2004 and we use the cornerstone LMS.

The 2-hour time minimum would include the content and final exam. The student needs to reach the minimum time and pass the final exam to get course completion.

I searched for this topic in this forum and found several threads discussing some parts of this, solving them in various ways, using different Captivate versions, but I'm wondering if someone had the same issue and solved it with Captivate 9. I will list the other forum topics in case the only answer is "Do it the same as xyz discussion."

I can't seem to copy and paste those forum URLs into here, so I will type the titles out:

Course minimum time requirement.

Course timer.

Timeout course when user is inactive.

How to set required duration for a compliance course.

Is there a way to set minimum time requirement for a course.

Thank you very much for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you'll need a JS expert. The problem is the Timelout registratign, not the minimum time requirement (which I have done several times for clients).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri, sorry about misspelling your name in my reply to TLCMediaDesign.

If I can't figure it out I will approach my boss regarding some budget for hiring and expert for the JS portion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is for California?

Captivate should automatically set the time duration for each launch of a lesson. The session time is recorded, but I believe it's up to the course to append the times for a total duration.

When you say inactivity, you could measure this different ways. A timer could start and then be reset on slide enter. If on a slide for more than 5 minutes, alert the user that the course will close in 20 seconds and give them the option to cancel.

You would need to define exactly how you would want this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes TLCMediaDesign, we are in California and they have this dumb requirement. I think the laws were updated so we need a new course. Our previous vendor wants $25K for the new course, so my boss asked me to figure out how to do it myself.

I will take your suggestion and study up on captivate variable and advanced actions and study/try yours and Libybiri's previous discussions. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only actual way to do all of this is with JavaScript monitoring everything and making the appropriate SCORM calls if needed to record the session times.

I helped with a course for California and if they got to the last slide with plenty of time remaining, a timer was displayed that showed when the Next button would become active.

I did build the Supervisors Sexual Harassment Training for California, it takes over 2 hours just to get to the Exam so not an issue. But there was no inactivity requirement. I guess they want to see if someone continues working and just glancing to see if the Next button is active yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources