• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cp 2019 Interactive Video function - publish as an MP4?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS = Windows 7 64 bit

I have searched for any sort of publishing discussions specifically for Cp 2019 Interactive Video and can’t find any, but feel free to link me to one if this has been answered before!

I need help convincing my Manager that Cp 2019 Interactive Video does not mean what they think it means.

I just downloaded Captivate 2019 and experimenting with the Interactive Video functionality. I have an interactive video with the base video, 2 overlay slides that are on-screen content with Continue buttons and 2 Knowledge Check slides. Nothing fancy.

When I publish to an MP4 I get an error that states "This project contains slides that are not supported when published"

This is because an MP4 cannot have any interactivity beyond what is in the Playbar, right?

Manager seems to think we will be able to upload interactive MP4s for our users and they will be able to interact with the content – circumventing the LMS.

But that is not true, right? Even though Cp 2019 calls it an “Interactive VIDEO”, it is not published as an MP4…it still must be SCORM'd up and delivered thru an LMS?

I have to demo this on Friday so I would love it if I had some answers from Captivate users smarter than me!

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

I have answered similar questions a couple of times, but cannot find links anymore.

By definition a normal video is 'passive', you can only pause/play, replay etc.

Even before the new feature was introduced, creating an interactive video meant that you had to publish to HTML to make it possible to have interactivity. That is also the case for the new Interactive video. You are totally correct. Like a normal published CP project you need to upload the published folder to a webserver.

I have publishe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered similar questions a couple of times, but cannot find links anymore.

By definition a normal video is 'passive', you can only pause/play, replay etc.

Even before the new feature was introduced, creating an interactive video meant that you had to publish to HTML to make it possible to have interactivity. That is also the case for the new Interactive video. You are totally correct. Like a normal published CP project you need to upload the published folder to a webserver.

I have published some tips in

4 Tips for Interactive Video - Captivate blog

Here is a link to an example interactive video:

Play/Pause button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response!

So just to confirm. You CANNOT publish an Interactive Video as an MP4 output. Period. It always has to be the HTML5 / SWF selection and zipped up to be delivered thru a Learning Management System?

This is where I get confused. I know that SCORM packages are for LMS. But when you say “need to upload the published folder to a webserver.” You are referring to an LMS?

We are having issues with users not having access to our LMS so we’re scrambling to find a solution to have interactive training courses outside of our LMS but I have no idea what that would look like?

Do you have any articles or advice on that topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try again.

You cannot publish to mp4 because that is a passive video format. Interactivity needs interactive output, which is at this moment best to HTML5 since the Flash Player will disappear soon.

Whe I say 'upload to a webserver'  that doesn't have to be a LMS at all. You need a LMS if you need to report and need to create a SCORM package. Such a package is always sipped.

Some LMS's do support upload of packages which are not SCORM, just a zipped folder, and are able to unzip that folder and launch the file you indicate, which would be index.html. However not every LMS allows that. You can always set up reporting for a file which includes one or more interactie video and create a SCO which will be a zipped folder.

The file for which I posted the link is uploaded to a subfolder of my domain, which is not a LMS but functions as my webserver. No need to set up reporting. In this case I didn't need to zip the folder, upload it unzipped. Some public services like amazon.aws will perhaps require it to be zipped. Those folders are clearly interacitve, I se the same workflow to upload tutorials embedded in my blog. They are not in a LMS. I don't gather any data about the users viewing that content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you! This is exactly the kind of information I need to help explain why we cannot do what Management wants.

I am not an LMS expert or admin so when they start talking about solutions to deliver outside of an LMS, that get beyond my knowledge base but you have given a starting point that people who do know about all that can deal with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hope it will be figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources