There seems to be a problem when generating audio for text-to-speech. I think I have narrowed it down to if the text has an apostrophe in it, Cp will crash. It is inconsistent behavior but it seems like the first generation of the file can't have the apostrophe. Once created, I can go back in and put in the apostrophe and it usually won't crash.
It seems like I remember this problem from years ago when using Authorware and MS Agents...I wonder if the problem still exists in the engine that generates the file.
Has anyone else seen this issue?
I tried replicating the scenario and for me the text to speech conversion worked fine without any issues. Is it possible for you to share a sample project and crash logs with us so that we can investigate the issue at our end. Please send it to email@example.com
To obtain the crash log, please do the following
It will be helpful if you can provide the following additional information along with the logs
We are encountering the same problem, as described by Kurrykid. We are running Cp 6 on Mac OSX Mountain Lion. When the script contains an apostrophe (') the agent stops right before the apostrophe. This issue happens consistently for all agents. We reinstalled the voices, but the issue is persistent. We did not have that problem while running Cp 5.5 on the same machine.
I tried replicating your scenario, and the Text to speech conversion (with apostrophe) worked fine on a mountain lion machine without any issues. Is it happening on a blank new project or on the reopened project? Are you getting any error/warning messages when its stops the speech Generation? Is it possible for you to share a sample project with us so that we can investigate the issue at our end? Please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi There, I am experiencing the same issue Running Moutain Lion. Except that it happens EVERY time I generte audio. Very frustrating. Was this issue ever resolved? Thanks!
What build of Cp 6 are you running? I believe that issue was a matter of punctuation as we were able to replicate that several times on different machines running the same OSX. If I remember well, it happened when we copied scripts either from a Cp 5.5 project or from another application. Here is what I would suggest: Run a quick test on the slide that causes the crash - Delete the entire script and type that in manually (DO NOT COPY AND PASTE) and run the VO again to see what happens. If the crash persists, remove any apostrophe you may have in your script and enter the script again manually. Hope that helps.
I can confirm this persistent issue in CP6 for Mac OS 10.7.5 and that the workaround proposed by MMeite successfully avoids the crash.
We also have this problem in CP7 - first in a file in which we tried out several voices - suddently the file started to crash. Then, we tried just about everything:
- making the file shorter/smaller
- using only 1 voice
- tried on different pcs
- removed apostrofhes (the text was copied in using Notepad)
- tried to record an entirely new file from CP7 and adding text-to-speech
Nothing works - as soon as we try to generate text-to-speech the file crashes - often we also get a "fatal error" message.
We would appreciate any help here as we have many project with text-to-speech coming up?
The work around we use is stripping ALL symbols (except periods) out of the
text. So hyphens, brackets, commas, etc. Then we copy the text into
TextEdit and go to Format > Make plain text. Only then do we copy into CP
and generate the audio. It's EXTREMELY annoying and time consuming but it's
the only solution I've found that works. I never had this issue with CP 5.5
so I don't know why it's still an issue in CP 6 and 7!
I'm always surprised how the Adobe folks always act like they've never heard of this problem before.
The crash or freeze seems to be the result of adding text that contains extraneous control characters, or any non-ASCII characters. Running any text you want to use for text-to-speech through something like TextWrangler (free) that will "zap" these "Gremlins", will prevent those issues.
Of course it would be a lot simpler if the Captivate developers would just acknowledge and then fix the problem.