Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create a popup window, movable around screen with an x to close it

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I need to create a popup window that the learner can move around the screen then click an X to close it. The objective is to use the popup as a reference while they are using a drag and drop parts of a meter to test an electrical unit on the screen.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. I am using Captivate 2017. 

Thank you,

Faith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First off, you are only supposed to be using the latest Version of Captivate, so you should upgrade to Captivate 2019.

SO if you create a button... you can have that button hide and show your pop-up menu.

So its possible to create a pop-up window, and you can group all items that you want to display in the window.
Then if you name it, you can find it easily when you are trying to create an Advanced Action so you can hide it on the start of your movie, and then have it show when the user clicks the button.

Then you can create an X graphic, as another button, that will also be programmed to SHOW, when the pop-up menu shows, and when clicked, it will hide itself (the x graphic button) AND will also HIDE the pop-up window.

As far as the draggable part, this is something I used to create using Adobe Flash (now Adobe Animate).

The scripting options in Captivate are a bit more limited.... there might be a way to attach a Javascript file to make this work, but I have never come across this before so not sure if it is indeed possible.

Hope this pop-up window helps a little. A little tough to walk you through the entire thing via text of course.

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Appreciate your feedback, but you really need to be a little less terse with your response.

Secondly, not all employers want to spend the money to upgrade software.

Thirdly, I already figured out how to create a popup window where the users can click the X to close it by using Advance actions. I just need to find a way where the users can move the popup window around the screen while they are dragging and dropping different objects.

Adobe animate will not solve the problem since the objective of the question was to be able to drag the popup window around the screen. I know it requires javascript, I am just not sure how to go about it.

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm....you sound very upset..... was I terse? I don't work here, I just came by to try to help answer your question. My first statement I wrote, is just me sharing factual statement regarding an announcement Adobe made.... where its now illegal to be using anything but the latest or one previous version. I thought that would be good to know... especially if there are implications, right?

So not sure how they are policing it... but its sort of like a friendly flicker of your brights on the highway to let other cars know that Police are using radar and ticketing on the highway. It was just a friendly notice.

Surely I can understand not everyone wanting to spend more money, but I guess Adobe wants to make money or we're perhaps in some sort of suit, where this was there latest announcement. So I was just sharing some facts with you, since I'm pretty sure Adobe won't support this product and its actually illegal. So apologies if you found it harmful in anyway.... just trying to type fast, help and move forward. I'm only the messenger, I'm not enforcing their laws.

Everyone who helps on these forums are just giving back to the community and doing good deeds.... so I think any response deserves your appreciation and a nice tone. You actually wrote that too "any help or direction would be appreciated". Oh well, I didn't feel that.

I was only trying to help based on your request "I need to create a popup window that the learner can move around the screen then click an X to close it." So I guess if you said :"I have created a pop-up with an x to close it and I want to know if I can make it draggable?" I might have answered differently. But I just answered the best I could based on your written words and tried sharing "any help or direction" that I had based on my 20 years experience. So I shared how to create a pop-up and a close button, 2 out of 3 things you requested.

Animate was not a direct fix, I was sharing that I know it is POSSIBLE and I have done it with Animate, but I have never created it or seen it before with Captivate. Animate can also be exported and IMPORTED into Captivate, so it could also possibly be a work around.

I have never seen anything draggable in captivate aside from the draggable interactions. So I was sharing that it MIGHT be able to be done with Javascript.... only trying to help and push you in the right direction.

I am so sorry that my help was worthless, I will try to do better next time I take time out of my day to try to help or offer advice.

Hope someone else is better able to help and cater to your needs.

cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

Your feedback is noted.

Wish the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark probably forgot that Captivate is not a CC application and it is still possible to buy a perpetual license instead of hiring a subscription license.

I totally understand that hiring is not an option in certain situations, and that for budget reasons skipping upgrades is happening a lot. Problem for those with subscription licenses like me, it becomes very hard to help users out with older versions since testing is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for your input. I am not a newbie when it comes to using captivate. I simply don't ask a lot of questions instead I search the site to find out some of the answers to my questions. FYI, I subscribe to your site and read many of your blogs. Your contribution is valuable.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Fayek,

window.alert("Hello World");

Insert the following Javascript code into the Script_Window.

Actions: On Enter --> Script_Window (click on the script window),

them enter the code.

(from the dropdown select current)

Do a search on the alert(); windon.open(), window.focus() and window.blur()

Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luis,

Thank you. I will give it a try today and give you my feedback later.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources