Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom navigation bar in responsive projects

Contributor ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have still been using captivate 9 until now. That means I am not have any experience with captivate 2017 in the 2019.

I did read a lot of material and blog posts but it is still very daunting.

I have a question regarding creating a custom navigation bar for a responsive Project.

In older projects I created a new navigation bar and hid the standard one.  

It was a group of buttons with image fill that were shown for "rest of project" that I simply hid for the quiz slides and so on. 

So now, responsive projects do sound appealing but I seem to understand that the old way won't work anymore as the whole "adjust to any screen automatically" principle is fundamentally different.

Do I have to creative a fluid box for every pause, play, Show table of context button? As I understand I cannot put a a button somewhere on top of fluid boxes.

I guess child fluid boxes within a parent fluid box is the way to go? Or is there an easier or more versatile way? 

I may be getting it all wrong though so as always lots of gratitude for any help! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would indeed create a fluid box for each button, and see if you need the option to 'squeeze in a row' or not.

You cannot time for the rest of the project. But you can add the custom navigation buttons to the master slide(s). Do not use the main master slide, it leads to problems because it is impossible to create fluid boxes in that master slide and inherit them to the daughter master slides.

I have some blogs about fluid boxes, they take a while to get used to. Before starting reflect if you really need a responsive project, or if a rescalable HTML output wouldn't do the trick?

Here is one link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/fluid-boxes-and-master-slides

Beware it was written for CP2017. Didn't have time yet, to add the new feature in CP2019 where you can use the Position properties (from the Breakpoint views) as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! Will look into main master slides! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT MAIN master slide, it is useless for Fluid Boxes projects.

I see that we are talking here and on my blog. Maybe ask the same questions also in this forum, will probabbly reach more users. Although my blog has about 100 views daily, I have no idea how many Captivate users are aware of it. This forum may reach more developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you prefer to discuss there no problem. I do seem to remember that you weren´t too fond of people asking random question on your blog under non-related posts. Just wanted to respect your wishes here!

Also, I will look into the difference between main master and other master slides. I have read about the quiz reporting issues therein.

I am getting a clearer idea but understand now (also thanks to Mr. Wilson's videos) that planning is essential here to not have to redo it all later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources