Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom quiz buttons

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a Captivate newbie working with Adobe Captivate 2019 release. I have created a custom quiz in Captivate on a blank slide. There is a question with three options, one of which is correct. The three options are shapes being used as buttons. When the user clicks the correct option, they are taken to a slide which says -- correct. Similarly, when the user clicks the incorrect option, they are taken to a slide which says -- incorrect. Both the correct and incorrect slides have a next button which will take them to the scorecard. As I mentioned, all three options are shapes which I am using as buttons. The next button on the correct/incorrect slides is also a shape. I want to ensure that the buttons are capturing the score and reporting it to the LMS. For now I have selected each button, and under Properties>Reporting, checked the following boxes: Include in Quiz, Add to Total and Report Answers. Will this do it? 

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Can I just ask WHY are you using totally different slides to display the Success or Fail feedback when you could much more easily do that on the same slide as the question?  Your approach seems more complicated than necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Agree that this is way to complicated for something which could be achieved easily with aa normal MCQ question.

Did you attach a score to ALL the buttons? You cannot attach a variable to a button, that may be wrong terminology but which makes no sense.  You have three buttons: only the correct one should have a score, not the two incorrect ones because you don't want a score when those are clicked.  Why would you need three variables, makes no sense neither?  It is a misunderstanding of scorable

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might.  But the thing you need to remember is that ONLY the buttons that represent the correct answer should be reporting a score to the quiz. 

If you set all buttons to report a score, even the wrong ones, then that isn't really going to give you the correct result you are likely to be expecting because then incorrect answers would also be scored as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Any advice on how to ensure that only the buttons that represent the correct answer should be reporting a score to the quiz? Should I uncheck any of the Reporting options under Properties? Or should I disable Reporting for the incorrect anwers altogther? In that case, should I atleast check the Include in Quiz option? Sorry if this is a simplistic question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a simple question, but that's what we learn to expect from a newbie developer.

You just deselect all reporting options for incorrect questions.  If they are not reporting a score to the LMS, they don't need to be set to report at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional tip: use the Advanced Interaction panel which you can open with F9 or from the Project menu. It will show you which obejcts are socred, if the score is added to the Quiz total and more. You cannot edit anything IN the panel but it is linked dynamically to the Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! Sadly I had to abandon this idea. All the shape-buttons stopped working as soon as I checked the Include in Quiz Option. Not sure why this happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would probably indicate that something in your quiz settings is now affecting how the buttons work because they are configured to be part of the quiz.

A couple of possible reasons:

In Quiz Settings, do you have Allow Backward Movement turned OFF.

Were the slides for Correct and Incorrect positioned before or after the slides containing the buttons? 

What settings do you have under Quiz > Settings > Required dropdown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate your help. Extremely sorry for the long answer below.. 

Please let me know if you need more screenshots or further clarification.

First, to answer your questions:

In Quiz Settings, do you have Allow Backward Movement turned OFF.  

No, it is ON

Were the slides for Correct and Incorrect positioned before or after the slides containing the buttons? 

They are positioned after the slides containing the buttons.

What settings do you have under Quiz > Settings > Required dropdown?

Answer all.

And here's my long-winded description of my project:

The quiz is created on a blank slide. It has one question and three shape/buttons, one of which is the correct answer. I assigned a variable to all three shape buttons (KnowledgeCheck1). Then I set their values to 0 (for incorrect answer) and 1 (for correct answer)

Next, I created another slide with a caption that said incorrect. I opened the state view of the caption and created a new state with a different variation of the caption that said correct (pic attached) The idea was that the button will take the user to the appropriate state view depending on whether the answer is correct or incorrect.Then I exit the state view.

Next, for the incorrect caption slide, I executed Advanced Actions and created a new action: Validate_KnowledgeCheck1. I then selected the If Else action (pic attached)

I created all the shape buttons first. They were working just fine, jumping to the correct or incorrect options. However, when I selected the Include in Quiz, Report score option etc, they stopped working. Specifically, only the incorrect buttons have stopped working. The correct button still works (most of the time).

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just ask WHY are you using totally different slides to display the Success or Fail feedback when you could much more easily do that on the same slide as the question?  Your approach seems more complicated than necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attaching two more screenshots of Quiz settings.

Thanks..Untitled4.jpgUntitled3.pngUntitled4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree that this is way to complicated for something which could be achieved easily with aa normal MCQ question.

Did you attach a score to ALL the buttons? You cannot attach a variable to a button, that may be wrong terminology but which makes no sense.  You have three buttons: only the correct one should have a score, not the two incorrect ones because you don't want a score when those are clicked.  Why would you need three variables, makes no sense neither?  It is a misunderstanding of scorable objects. If you look at the Advanced Interaction panel you should see a score only for the correct button. Your variables as far as I can judge are never changed, they keep the value you gave them when defining them. 

Just posted an overview of the Advanced Interaction panel on my blog. 

Another problem is perhaps the too strict setting of the Required field.  If my suspicion  is correct, which is that you have attached a score to ALL buttons, correct and incorrect, the learner is never able to click all those buttons since he needs to choose one of them. Restricting the Backwards movement is OK, if you never allow the learner to go back to the button slide from the feedback slide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buttons never stop working, whether they are scored or not.Post a screenshot of the Quiz Preferences, Settings.. Did you have scored objects when the buttons were not scored and 'working'? If not, Rod already posted some suggestions about what can have wrecked their behavior. 

Why not first master the default quiz slides, before trying to create custom ones? There is a lot to learn about the default quiz slides, and the way you can tweak them. Have a look at the list of articles I wrote about quizzes:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/11/quiz-resources/

It has a table with links to all the posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources