Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customised Correct and Incorrect messages for each Quiz slide

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but I can't find a post that addresses my needs.

I simply want to control the response the user gets when the Submit button on each quiz slide is pressed. I'd like to present a different character and speech bubble (with appropriate message) if the user gets a question correct or incorrect.

I can successfully get the "correct" response working using an On Success Advanced Action to set the "CorrectResponse" state that I've set up for an object, but how do I customise the messages (with images, etc) for a failed attempt? Am I stuck with the simple Captivate Failure Messages?

I wish there was an On Failure action.

Many thanks!

Brett

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to restart my answer, forums is acting very weirdly at this moment.

Did write that a Failure action is inexistent, even though that word appears on D&D slides configured as question slides. Events linked to quiz and D&D slides are limited to 2: Success event and Last Attempt event.

However for a multi-attempt quiz slide you can have up to 3 different Failure feedback messages. Since by default (if you kept it so) the messages are shapes, you can use them to fill with an image and eventually add text. That may be an easy workaround, where you do not have to bother about actions, nor about the stacking order of embedded objects vs custom objects.

You can find more tweaks in all the blogs I posted in the eLearning community about Quizzes, including many tweaks. Maybe you can have a look at this article which offers a pdf with links to all the blogs.

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/11/quiz-resources/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri and Wayne!

In the limited time I had, I got it semi-working the way I wanted by creating On-success and Last Attempt (thanks Lilybiri) Advanced Actions. I've set the slides' Failure Messages to None and turned on the Rety Message.

The Advanced Action script for On Success and Last Attemp simply shows the relevant image and caption, it then delays for 2 seconds then hides it again. To avoid the extra work of having to place the same success/fail images on each slide and then create separate actions for each slide to show them, I'm using the one set of correct/incorrect images that are placed on the first question slide and have set them to invisible as well as to display for the rest of the project. I can then also use the same Success and Fail Action Scripts for each slide.

When it comes to the final score slide, I'm using a conditional Advanced Action for the slide's On Enter action to test the variable cpQuizInfoPassFail and if they've passed I show/delay/hide the "happy" image and if they fail I show/delay/hide the "not-so-happy" image.

I'll re-visit this again for my next project to see if I can improve/streamline it even more using both of your suggestions.

Cheers, Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If this is a non-responsive project you can use the approach with timed for the rest of the project. Have explained that also multiple times, but you didn't need an explanation. Another way to deal with it, is to use a variable in the feedback messages instead of literal text, and to use an On Enter Shared or Advanced action to populate the variable. That approach is somewhere also on my blog (I write too much). You will find a lot more tweaks in the reference document about Quiz Resources.

Success, glad you already got quite a long way. Do not forget that you also can use shared actions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the background image of the failure caption and specify the width and height in the properties setting. I have done this in the past to have custom icons for incorrect responses.

Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources