• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default quiz results slide and continue button

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some problems with the default quiz results slide, and they haven't been fixed for 10 years. If a user must pass a quiz, then you have navigation errors:

• you must hide the review quiz button under the retake quiz button if you don't want your user orphaned if they review before re-taking.
  • The continue button is always visible but it doesn't work until they've passed the quiz, there should be a way to hide this button until completion criteria have been met.

Question, without creating a custom results slide, how do you hide the continue button from the user until they've passed the quiz?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that Captivate is long overdue for some enhancements to quizzing functionality.  But basically you just hide the Continue button UNDER the Retake Quiz button too, just as you would hide the Review Quiz button if you did not want users to access that.  But if you hide both the Continue AND the Review Quiz buttons under the Retake Quiz button, and you want both of them to be visible once the learner passes the quiz then you need to make the Retake Quiz button big enough to cover both of the other buttons.

All of the default Quiz Result slide buttons do not have Object Names that you can target with HIDE or SHOW actions in the same way that you can hide/show other buttons or Smart Shape buttons elsewhere in your module.  

One method Lilybiri sometimes mentions is to change the button's appearance so that the background and text colours are transparent (thereby making it invisible) and then placing another Smart Shape button on the slide at the same spot.  Since the visibility of the Smart Shape button can be manipulated with Advanced Actions you can make it appear as if the Continue button suddenly appears at some point.  However, it's a workaround, not a perfect solution.

Personally, I prefer using the method of placing the Continue button underneath the Retake Quiz button so that the learner can ONLY continue to complete the module once they have successfully passed the quiz.  (You have to set the Quiz attempts to Unlimited in this case as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, I have used and explained both methods in several blogs: using the stack order for the embedded buttons and the tweak with an image on top of an 'invisible' embedded button. It depends largely on the situation.

Totally agree that Quizzes urgently need to be refurbished. I spend a lot more time tweaking them and replacing some types always by custom versions that should be necessary.

This is a fact: all blogs I write about Quizzes are very popular with Captivate users... proves something, right?

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/04/quiz-tweaks-5-results-slide/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, I have done the layering solution but I feel from a UI perspective it's plugging a leak, so to speak.

My solution was to drag the continue button off the stage, create my own button, hide it, write a script on enter of frame - assuming Quiz completion set to 100%:

If cpInfoPercentage is equal to 100

show "my button"

Else

hide "my button"

It works fine and I'm not left with a button I need to explain to people "that won't work until you pass the quiz"... UI should be self expalnatory!
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a good idea to completely remove certain default components from a Quiz Slide or the Quiz Results slide.  These are not normal buttons and in most cases they are essential to the correct functioning of the SCORM reporting.

So, instead of removing the button to the scrap area, which would mean it does not get published with the project, I would recommend you leave at least a small part of the default Continue button on stage on the Quiz Results slide.  Even one or two pixels would be enough, and you can change the appearance of the button to remove the background colour or border so that the user is completely unaware it is still there.

This might avoid some unpredictable completion and scoring issues when your content is intended to be served up from an LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed not a good solution at all. You may mess up a lot when you start deleting (or dragging embedded buttons on quiz/score slides to the scratch area). The solution with an invisible button which will be covered with an image when appropriate is a safe solution, double-checked it in many circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources