• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable the button and enable them after slide visited and assign them advance action

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to build the custom table of content.  In the table of the content slide, I have seven buttons, by clicking each of them it jumps to the first slide of its chapter.  which means seven buttons for seven different chapters and each chapter has several slides. 

Screenshot here:

tableOfContent.png

I have a variable var_lastSlide to track the slide. e.g after entering the second chapter, I have assigned value 1_2 to the var_lastSlide variable.

Here is the screenshot: 

enterInChapter.png

Each slide has a button for jumping to the table of content slide. Here also, I have assigned an advance action GoToMenuSlide. In this action, I store the value of cpInfoCurrentFrame in var_startFrame variable.

Here is the screenshot of the advance action:

GoToMenuSlide.png

Each button in the table of content has assigned advance action for e.g for the second chapter button, it would be jump_to_1_2.  Here what I have checked is if the lastSlide has the value of 1_2,  I assign cpCmndGotoFrameAndResume with var_startFrame, to resume where it was left off (in case if I am in chapter two and I go to the table of content and again I click chapter second button,  I need to resume from where it was left), that is why I stored cpInfoCurrentFrame value in var_startFrame in GoToMenuSlide action. 

Screenshot -: (if I came to table content after visiting chapter-two: 1_2)

ifLastSlide_1_2.png

If lastSlide is not 1_2 then the slide will jump to the first slide in chapter two, starting initially. 

Screenshot:

ifLastSlideNot.png

And this is working properly.

What I am trying to achieve is, initially disable all the buttons except first. I want to not let the users go to another chapter without completing the preceding chapter. for e.g I want the button for the second chapter to enable only when in the last slide of the first chapter is completed (it maybe includes some interaction e.g enable that second button only when all the buttons are clicked in this slide or after just visiting this slide).

I can disable the second button initially, enable the second button when all of the buttons clicked in the last slide of the first chapter (with advance action)  but can not assign the advance action jump_to_1_2,  without which, the second button will not be functional. 

Is it possible to enable a button and assign it an advanced action from other advanced actions?

has anybody had a similar issue?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Actually I think your interaction would be a lot simpler to create and a lot easier to maintain if you just had a separate User Variable to track completion of each of the seven sections.  Then you would be able to start with all buttons disabled except the one that goes to the first chapter.  Have a Conditional Action executed ON SLIDE ENTER of the Menu Slide that checkss the values of the seven tracking variables.  The Conditional Action decision blocks will enable each successive button ONLY

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post Previews of tha advanced actions. Pure text explanation is too hard to understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Lilybiri! I have updated my question with some screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod has taken over, will leave you to him.

Just one comment please use the Preview window (first button in the top right control panel), makes reading actions so much easier. Have a look at:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think your interaction would be a lot simpler to create and a lot easier to maintain if you just had a separate User Variable to track completion of each of the seven sections.  Then you would be able to start with all buttons disabled except the one that goes to the first chapter.  Have a Conditional Action executed ON SLIDE ENTER of the Menu Slide that checkss the values of the seven tracking variables.  The Conditional Action decision blocks will enable each successive button ONLY if the variables for any previous sections have been set to indicate completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Rod, So I disabled all other buttons except the first. Then I defined some variables e.g  chapter_2_completed assigning false value. Okay ! when the first chapter is completed I assigned chapter_2_completed value of true. In the Menu slide on entering, I execute an advance action named - EnableButton.

Here is the screenshot: 

Screenshot (24).png

As you can see I am enabling the second button here on condition. but just enabling that button is not what I want.  I want to assign Execute Advance Action: On Success of the button. The name of the advance action script is jump_to_1_2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've only done part of what Rod suggested. What you've said in the last paragraph about assigning an Advanced Action inside an Advanced Action cannot be done and isn't what you need to do anyhow.

EnableButton should be triggered ON SLIDE ENTER on the Menu slide, like Rod said. In your screenshot, I can see that you have SmartShape_1253 selected. On your menu slide, deselect everything and select Actions>Execute Advance Actions, then choose EnableButton from the Script drop down box. 

The EnableButton Advanced Action should have a series of conditionals to check the state of each chapter_?_?_completed variable. If the condition evaluates to true, enable the associated section button. You have one of these done right now.

The btn_?_? buttons should just have a Jump to Slide action set to go to the respective slide. You don't need an Advanced Action unless you're doing more than one thing with the button click.

I don't know what SmartShape_1253 button 'should' be doing, but make sure you fix that so it's not calling the EnableButton script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sabre is correct.  And if you read my instructions above carefully you will note that I said each of the decision blocks in the Conditional Action has to check that specific variables are set to true before enabling their button.  The specific variables in each case are the ones for the previous chapters.  

So until the variable for Chapter 1 is set to true, none of the other buttons will be enabled.  When Chapter 1 is set to true then the button to go to Chapter 2 will be enabled.  When the variables for both Chapter 1 AND Chapter 2 are true, then the button for Chapter 3 will be enabled and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Sabre and Rod. I have done as per my requirement based on your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources