• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do json files make a project load slowly?

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the output settings been changed in Captivate 2017?

Projects that I publish to HTML from 2017 take a lot longer to load in a browser than similar sized projects that I produced in previous versions. When I look into the download speed it seems to be that the browser/s are taking ages to read the json files. 

Could the json files be causing the projects to load slowly and if so how can I work around it? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the project in terms of megabytes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod - it is happening to a broad range of projects from 5mb to 30+ it does not seem to be the size that effects the speed so much as the file type. The .json files just seem to make everything freeze up in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since one of the later minor updates to Captivate 9 all HTML5 output now uses JSON files to deliver PNG or GIF files.  JPG files are still delivered the normal way.

I have not seen any real issues with JSON files making output freeze or delaying playback unduly.  If anything I think JSON tends to speed up the playback.  The change to using JSON files was made because previously every single small PNG or GIF file required for the HTML5 user interface or content had to be requested separately from the LMS or Web Server.  There can be hundreds of such files in a typical elearning module.  With JSON there is only ONE file to request and that's why Adobe decided to go that route.

How did you establish that the delay or freezing is due to JSON?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply. Your description of the move to JSON files all makes sense.

We established that the JSON might be a problem by using developer tools in Google Chrome and seeing what files take the longest to read.

We are still exploring this end - the files seem to run faster on Safari so it might be Google Chrome that is having problems reading javascript files does that sound like a possibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are talking about the CPM.js file then that is the main file in the entire project that contains most of the data determining what goes where on which slide.  It's usually the largest (non-video or audio) file in the project.

I haven't personally seen Chrome have issues with playing JavaScript, but there are lots of changes being rolled out by browser manufacturers at the moment aimed at tightening web security.  So it's quite possible that something in your browser security settings might be causing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources