• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone have any tips on how to document Advanced Actions?

Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips on how to document Advanced Actions?

It is very easy to use put the actions in, but I can't see any way to put a 'Comment' or 'REM' in so that I can remember what the logic is and why I'm doing it.

The Preview Action does give an overview, but to be honest its not much use.

eadvice_029.png

As a workaround I use the 'Continue' option to break up the lines in to logical chunks which I find makes it easier to read.

eadvice_028.png

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you

Peter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Use shared actions whenever possible, you can add a description for the

action and for the parameters.

For advanced actions, since they are limited to one file, I tend to add

text containers in the scratch area of slides, with description of vars and

actions.

Adding Continue means that you override the default behavior of advanced actions which is that the playhead remains fixed. You are releasing the playhead by Continue. Multiple Continue commands have the same result.

A good labeling for any object

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use shared actions whenever possible, you can add a description for the

action and for the parameters.

For advanced actions, since they are limited to one file, I tend to add

text containers in the scratch area of slides, with description of vars and

actions.

Adding Continue means that you override the default behavior of advanced actions which is that the playhead remains fixed. You are releasing the playhead by Continue. Multiple Continue commands have the same result.

A good labeling for any object, for the actions, variables and decisions can also help. Not a real comment however.

Alternative: switch to JS if you are on HTML output or to AS for SWF output. Both languages have the possibility to insert comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lilybiri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but I'm adding my thanks. I was going to post the same question but didn't have to because I found it here. Kudos again to Lilybiri for her answer.

I do wish we could put the comments next to specific items in the advanced or shared actions (similar to JS). Guess I should make another feature request 🙂

Kathryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do not hope for that. I often save an Advanced action as a shared action, because I can add at least some information in the Description of the action and the paramters. For clients, I always write out a short manual to document any action created if they wish to be able to edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources