• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double click required on entering the slide for a grouped object

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very strange issue I have not seen others run into... but I am hopeful that this can be fixed! 

I have created a simple software simulation with some event videos and at the top is a menu  (grouped object) with buttons that jump to other sides. It has a hide/show functionality in advanced actions that toggles well, but for some strange reason the very first time I click on a new slide and click the menu it requires me to click the grouped object twice before it "shows". After clicking it twice the first time it no longer needs me to "double" click for the rest of the slide in order to show. 

Things that have removed the intial double click have been:

1. Removing the conditional action (now obviously it doesn't toggle anymore) 

2. If I make the menu just a smartshape- not a grouped object. ( now it has no functionality)2019-12-16_12-25-43.png2019-12-16_12-26-01.png2019-12-16_12-27-00.png2019-12-16_12-27-09.png

TOPICS
Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Like Lilybiri, I don't really understand the logic of the script you are showing here.

You have a variable called Main_Menu that is initialised by default with 0.  Your Conditional Action checks the value of this variable and, if it is still set to 0 at that point, then the first line in your script assigns the Main_Menu variable to 0?  That's the same value it already has.  Why do that?  

The second line of your script SHOWs the Group1 items and then the third action line Toggles the value

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to advanced actions? Why is that timeline so long? Where are the pausing points?

It is much easier to read a conditional action if you use the Preview button, which is the first button in the top right control panel. I suspect a logical bug in your script. Look at it:

Condition is If var ==0

But when that is correct you have Assign var with 0   That is illogical? And then you toggle it to 1??? What is the reasoning behind that? Result is Assign var with 1. And then you show something.

Same weird sequence with the ELSE part: if it is not 0, it will be 1. Why do you use Assign with 1 again, and then toggle it to 0?

Have no idea what the function of the shape used as button is? When the var ==0 you hide that button, if it is not  the case you show and enable it???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lilybiri for helping out the community as always (and quickly I might add)!

This is my first captivate project, but I have been working within advanced actions for the duration of this project a couple of months.

Timeline is long because I have an event video on this particular slide, but I have the same issue of the “double click” on just my regular 3 second slides.

I do not want the menu to pause the video or anything else on the slide.

Sorry, there were a couple other “useless” functions on the advanced actions menu as I was trying to test what was wrong with it. I removed “enable” and “toggle” which were not serving a purpose on this slide. See updated images of advanced menu.

I have tried every variation of script 0 & 1 and this is what works for toggling. I actually followed one of Paul’s tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=r8rSJM_iwFM&feature=emb_logo

The issue is the double click at the beginning- it does toggle.2019-12-16_14-43-22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Event video plays totally independent from Captivate, no need to extend the timeline of a slide. Maybe you meant a slide video??

You followed a pretty old tutorial... I never watch passive videos, sorry.

Without really undertanding what is happening on this slide difficult to help, maybe you'll find a video? I se 5 interactive objects, all displayed for the rest of the slide, no idea where they are pausing and how they are interacting, what their Properties are etc...

Double clicking like you explain in almost all cases mean a logical bug in the script, the Boolean is not set to the value to be expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Event video if cut short only plays part of the video. I looked at this.  Maybe I insert incorrectly- seems to work fine though. 

Noted this was the tutorial I found that was closest to my situation. Do you have suggestions?

Also I reconfigured the value to 1 and changed the script… it all has the same effect- toggle works hide/show, but on entering the slide the grouped object must be clicked twice before it shows. After toggling the first time, it works seamlessly… it’s just the first time…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, do not have enough details: functionality and actions triggered by all those buttons??? You have 5 of them and showed only one action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is usually due to having a logic error in your script.  Insert the variable into a Smart Shape on the slide so that you can watch the value of the variable change each time you click the button.  That should show you what is happening differently each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per your suggestion Ron & Lilybiri, I tried out my script on a brand new file to see if I could elimnate the extra shapes/variables.  Same results 😞

ON ENTER: Script show main_menu shows and hides Group1 for 3 seconds. 

IF CLICKING SMARTSHAPE 1 or SMARTSHAPE 2: Scipt toggles between showing and hiding Group1

SMARTSHAPE 3: jumps to a new slide

SMARTSHAPE4:: just a box with click box to continue

2019-12-17_17-06-43.png2019-12-17_17-07-12.png2019-12-17_17-13-35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Lilybiri, I don't really understand the logic of the script you are showing here.

You have a variable called Main_Menu that is initialised by default with 0.  Your Conditional Action checks the value of this variable and, if it is still set to 0 at that point, then the first line in your script assigns the Main_Menu variable to 0?  That's the same value it already has.  Why do that?  

The second line of your script SHOWs the Group1 items and then the third action line Toggles the value of Main_Menu variable, which means that it should then be set to the opposite of 0 (i.e a value of 1).  If your first action line assigned the Main_Menu variable to 1, then you wouldn't need to toggle the variable with the third action line.

The ELSE actions are essentially a mirror of the first lot.  Again you are assigning the variable with the value it already has, doing another action to Hide the group, and then toggling the same variable.

You need to set up a Smart Shape on one of the early slides in the project and time it for REST of PROJECT so that it is visible on all slides thereafter.  Then insert this Main_Menu variable into this Smart Shape so that you can always see the current value of the variable as soon as you enter a slide.  Click around in slides doing as you have been mentioning above.  My guess is that you will see the Main_Menu variable is not always set to 0 when you enter each slide.  Sometimes it will be set to 1 when entering a slide.  But when it is set to one, the first click on the button will only change the value back to 0 and then the second click will show your menu group as you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sticking with me on this. These scripts for advaced actions honestly confuse me. 

I updated my Main_menu's advanced action and now "IF" is 1 and else is 0 & removed toggle. I still have the double click but now it is when the group 1 is showing not hidden. 

What do you mean by this: " Then insert this Main_Menu variable into this Smart Shape so that you can always see the current value of the variable as soon as you enter a slide."2019-12-18_16-24-56.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all you do for the Captivate community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You marked Rod's answer as correct, but can you explain what has solved the problem, because that answer has no solution, just tried to help you debug.  For the sake of other users, please tell what you found using that debugging to be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources