• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and Drop Captivate Question: Need 'Submit' button to work similar to 'Next' button

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create Adobe Captivate Quiz and have included Drag and Drop Interactive Questions (along with MCQ questions). How to go to the next slide?

I have changed the text of 'Submit' button to 'Next' button. In 'Drag and Drop' Actions, I have selected the following settings:

The question looks like:

The correct answer to this question is 'provide a safe workplace / environment'. When I try to submit a wrong answer or no answer, and click on the 'Next' (Submit) button, the control does not go to the next slide.

I tried to keep these settings:

This setting simply gives me 10 attempts to submit right answer. Without going to the next slide.

What settings should I choose and how do I move to the next slide and ensure that the candidate has the freedom to revisit the question n number of times, until they 'Submit' the entire quiz?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are still on an older version, because finally at least one confusing thing has been taken out. In 11.5 you would NOT eee the Failure event anymore, it never happens. The wording is incorrect, it has the same meaning as for quiz slides 'Last Attempt'.

Are you new to quzzes?  What you describe is the normal design of all quiz slides, including the D&D slide. The Submit button triggers the two)-step Submit process which I described completely in my series about quizzes in Captivate.

Quiz slides NEVER have a Next button, until you are in the Review mode, where the special Reviewn navigation buttons Net an Back are added.

Seond step of the Submit process (after viewing the feedback):

• Correct answer: the event On Success happens and that action  (Go to Next Slide) in your case will be done
  • Wrong answer: if there are attempts left, learner will remain on the paused slide and can enter a new answer until the last attempt has been taken.
  • Wrong answer and Last Attempt: the event 'Failure' happens... but that is never the case for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have the latest version, Lilybiri​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First screenshot in the portal showed he availability of Failure event (which is Last Attempt) event with Infinite messages and that is no longer the case (on my pleading) in 11.5.0.476. Here in Jive it has disappeared, so could be 11.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert  with Question slides, but I noticed a few things.

To help with the navigation piece, you could maybe try this:

Selecting the Submit All option in the Quiz Preferences > Settings should enable Allow Backward Movement, Back, and Skip options automatically. These should allow you to navigate backward and forward through Question slides.

Additionally, if you select Answer All - The User Must Answer Every Question (in the "Required" field of the Quiz Settings), the dialog box at the end of the quiz will prompt you if you have any unanswered quiz questions. This way users don't submit unanswered questions. They can then go back and answer those, and I also think you can change the answers of your MC questions if needed.

Drag-and-Drop Slides:

D&D interactions are NOT actual Question slides and instead use a regular (Content or Blank) slide, right? (D&D feature for Question slides is a part of the "Sequence" type Question slide, maybe others, not sure, but that's not what you want here from what I gather.)

Note: The Submit All button would NOT be displayed on normal D&D slides, although when added to the quiz those slides would be within quiz scope altogether. Only bringing this up because you wouldn't be able to click Submit All from those slides, but I do think they'd be included in the Review feature if you're using that.

Lilybiri​ The "on Failure" box is what I also see in my D&D panel when I enable a number of attempts, and I am also on the newest version 11.5.0.476. Is this really not correct?

Lastly, there are two different snips provided about the setup of the D&D interaction - first has Infinite and second one has 10 attempts. Not sure which one is preferred? You CAN change the Submit button to read "Next", as shown, but as mentioned, clicking this button only advances the user on a correct answer or on Failure/Last Attempt (so if you have 10 attempts selected, user must click the button 10 times to advance the slide on wrong answers, but only once on a correct answer). If you want users to be able to move forward on one click of the Submit/Next button, you need to set 1 attempt for that interaction. You could provide in the end, multiple attempts on the entire quiz.

The D&D slide will be the tricky piece if wanting users to move forward and backward freely. D&D slides won't allow you to change your submitted answer, while you're in the same quiz attempt, because as mentioned you will need to click the Submit/Next button however many number of attempts allowed OR have answered it correctly. Could show feedback on those slides and still be able to change answers of the of the MC question.

Anyway...maybe those settings can help you get closer to what you want. Maybe not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brandon,

I already have used a 'Submit All' option from the quiz preferences, however, the 'Allow Backward Movement' option is disabled in the options. That is not a concern though, because I can freely move forward and backward. Also, the quiz is a mix MCQ, D&D, True/False type of a quiz, hence, the 'Submit All' button is on the rest of the slides (but D&D). I only wanted the 'Submit All' button on the last slide, so I hid the 'Submit All' button using this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YdlQRAU4g

"Answer All - The User Must Answer Every Question", this is a good option, implemented. Thank you...

But with this option, if I keep only 1 attempt for D&D, while revisiting, I can change the MCQ style question, but not the D&D, which is a great limitation to the assessments for my organization. D&D are content style slides, you are right. I guess I will have to stick with Dropdown Lists and Sequence styled questions.

Thanks for your Brandon!

-Twini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still confusing is the word 'Failure' which should be Last Attempt. Screenshot in this forum is clear, was very small in the portal. The Failure event has disappeared with infinite attempts.

BTW D&D slides can be used as full-blown quiz or KC slides, but they do not follow all the rules of the older quiz slides. The feature Submit All (which has lot of drawbacks, issues) is not valid for D&D slides, as an example.

When I train about quizzes, and that is much asked for training, I always include D&D slides in quizzes, as wel as custom quiz slides. You can find about 50 articles I wrote about quizzes, 11 of them in this portal only, but much more on my personal blog site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri​ very interesting. I will ask around my team to see what everyone else sees for D&D with attempts added. We've had some hiccups with our recent upgrade, so I hope this isn't a big deal to fix, if it is indeed an issue. I'm looking at it now, started a new project, and I see On Failure for my D&D interaction when I add attempts to it. Thanks for bringing this up.I will look into it.

designt92090825​ - Happy to help. As I said, I'm no expert, but there are a lot of them on here to learn from. I bet if you read through Lilybiri's quiz articles you could get close to accomplishing your goal. That's what I do! Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mentioned that 'typo' in all my blogs about Drag&Drop, glad that at least the so-called 'Failure' event disappears with infinite attempts, but sad that the word is still not renamed to Last Attempt. I cannot count the number of times I have explained this to users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources