• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

drag and drop interaction works in preview, not when published. Captivate 2019.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have simple object drag and drops that work in preview just fine, but when published online or on my PC, they don't. The cursor turns into a hand over the items, but they are only draggable one time in 25 when i try. So yes, once in a blue moon one will work. No consistency which or when. They aren't graded or put as quiz questions. The course doesn't have a quiz within it but I did notice I had the settings as SCORM publish. Would those things make a difference? I wish this program would publish the way it previews. This is a basic interaction, so I'm not sure what could possibly be wrong. I attached every screenshot I could think of. Thanks for any help! This is delaying release of a course. I put the two slides in question here, though I know most won't download it for fear of a virus: https://kristinfiore.com/files/problemslide.cptx.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Getting started , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file and was able to Preview in HTML in the browser without issue, publish locally to HTML5 and play without issue, configure for SCORM 1.2 and upload to SCORM Cloud too and still have no issue there dragging and dropping objects.  The only place I saw any issue with dragging the objects was when I tried Preview in SCORM Cloud from Captivate.  The objects would not drag then.

If you are experiencing issues when you upload this file to your LMS, I suggest you try uploading the same SCORM package to SCORM Cloud and test it there.  You may find that the issue is actually related to your LMS or web server environment.  Try SCORM Cloud as a verification whether or not the issue is the file or the LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for trying the file! I appreciate it. I did try this and my other course in those environments and noticed that all previews but no published versions (my PC, HTML5 in browser, SCORM cloud) work. I find this odd, as I didn't have an issue with SCORM Cloud preview but did have one with publishing on my PC (the opposite of your experience).

Do you know a reason why this might be happening? If it's not working on my PC published version either, it can't be just the LMS. I'm not sure how to find a workaround. I'm surprised there's no other posts on this. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to see you publish to SCORM from your current project and upload to SCORM Cloud so that I could see your project there.  You said it didn't work when you uploaded to SCORM Cloud but did when you tried the SCORM Cloud Preview from within Captivate.  My experience was the exact opposite.  That makes no sense to me.  I have never seen a similar disparity of results from SCORM Cloud.

In the absence of evidence from any other user that might have downloaded your file and tested it I cannot really say for sure what the issue is.  However, my best guess would be that there might be something wrong with the Captivate installation on your PC.  You should try clearing out your Project Cache and resetting Preferences.  If that doesn't change anything, the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall Captivate as well as all latest patches.  Make sure you also reset preferences again at the end of that process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleage figured out what is going on. You have to click just underneath the text to drag an object for it to work. Is there a way to fix that so that anywhere on the object can work?

Here is the course in SCORM Cloud - https://cloud.scorm.com/sc/InvitationConfirmEmail?publicInvitationId=0166f17c-d79f-4938-9f4f-d6e74d3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution found, thanks to digging and RodWard's wonderful help!

When you publish a project as Scalable HTML content (check that box in the Publish window), smartshapes will NOT work as drag-and-drop sources OR as state change buttons. You have to use captions as drag sources and actual buttons as state changers. When you DO NOT publish as scalable HTML content, however, smartshapes do work as drag sources and state changing buttons. I'm requesting that the folks at Adobe fix this in their next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please also thank your colleague for me. I encountered the same problem in Captivate 2019 and couldn't resolve it. 

It is like we always need a handbook to fix it find work around to all the bugs in each release of Captivate. I have been using the program since Captivate 5. I know many developers who have just abandoned it for something less glitchy. Come on Adobe! So many production hours lost to troubleshooting! It is very tiresome. If it were not for technically savvy none adobe people providing the solutions so often, I would be over this. Maybe adobe could hire some of them?

My last issue was having to add additional script to published video interactive projects, just so they would load. Again, thank heaven for none adobe wizards who share their workarounds. The project was a 10 month investment for my company and because of one guy that had figured out a solution and posted it, it went on to win a national award instead of ending my career. 

I will pass your solution on to my network of captivate users. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources