Highlighted

Drag and drop: Is it possible to have two drop places?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a drag and drop where the answers could go to multiple possible drop places. How do I achieve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Drag and drop: Is it possible to have two drop places?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a drag and drop where the answers could go to multiple possible drop places. How do I achieve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide some more details? Are there multiple correct answers or not? Do you need to score? Do you expect anything to happen after dragging one drag source to a drop target, and/or after submitting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a pile of "sticky notes" at the bottom of the screen with three places to sort them at the top of the screen. The notes might be appropriate in multiple spots so there is not one solid answer choice that each note would go into, that would be up to the user to decide.

It would be helpful to be able to give some feedback after each note is dragged to a spot.

At this time scoring is not necessary as this will be a practice activity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stacking drag sources in a pile is possible and could be useful in some cases. The learner will not be able to see what is under the present drag source, but combined with object actions some interesting workflows can be designed. Sorry for my first answer, where I told that you cannot stack (was thinking about a scored D&D).

Keep the setting All for the drag actions. You can use the Object actions to give feedback after each drag action.  Have a look at:

Drag&Drop tips - Captivate blog

Drag&Drop Actions - Captivate blog

D&D Feedback messages - Captivate blog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

"you cannot stack drag sources in a pile."

Why not? Seems to work just fine for me. The learner just works his way through the stacking order top to bottom as he drags them one by one. Like dealing cards from a deck of cards - always the topmost. Any known issues with that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something has changed,very recently, but Drag&Drop didn't allow to have drag sources overlapping or covering each other. I will double-check in the most recent release. You probably have all bounding boxes at exactly the same size? That could be the solution. It will not be able however to use this in a Fluid  Boxes porject.

Just double-checked in CP2019, and you can have them stacked.  Not really mean to have a scored drag&drop but for other use cases this could work, with the exception I mentioned (in a normal fluid box).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had them all in same sizes and in the same position in my first test, but I now tried also with different sizes and partly overlapping, as well as fully overlapping - works as well in Cp 10 and 11; at least with SmartShapes as DragSources in a non-responsive project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, tried overlapping as well but you have to be a little bit more careful with more complicated shapes (bounding box is important),  Rectangles are safe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But let's say I have three baskets....the answer could go in two, but would not be correct for the third. How do I set up something like that? In this case it would not be all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Properties tab for your Drag n' Drop interaction, go to the 'Options' tab and then click the 'Set Correct Answers...' button. The 'Correct Answers' dialog comes up, where you can define every DragSource/Droptarget combination that should be evaluated as correct. If you used the Wizard to create the Intercation, you will most likely already have 'Answer1' defined here. Click the 'Add New Answer' button to add a second correct answer.

DragNDrop.PNG

In the above example, there's two DragSources - SmartShape_1 and SmartShape_2 - and two DropTargets - SmartShape_3 and SmartShape_4. Evaluation is set up in a way that DragSource SmartShape_2 has to go to SmartShape_4, whereas DragSource SmartShape_1 can either go to SmartShape_3 or to SmartShape_4; both scenarios will be considered correct and trigger Success Action.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three boxes (ABC). In the wizard I am able to choose two of the boxes as assign as type (AC). However, when I go to select my second set (BC) I can do so, but the shapes will only go to ONE of these types. I can't see to use C as a choice for both.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual the problem is that the question was not detailed enough. Do you expect this D&D to be scored or not?

BTW I never use that wizard, it is only useful in very simple cases. Use the D&D panel to set ,up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I do not care about scoring. I'm just trying to get the D&D to work.

I can't get the squares to go to two places. Blue to A and C, and Orange to B and C.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case configure the incorrect drop target to NOT accept any drag source, but to send it back. You  need to select the drop target and open the dialog box with the Object Actions button.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little lost. Right now I'm at the point where the program is not letting me select both A and C as an option for the blue squares.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the correct answers dialog box. Gaanf posted a sreenshot of it. Those links indicate the CORRECT answers. Are you new to Drag&Drop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a complete newbie to Captivate in general. I really need step by step directions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got it! I found the correct answers dialogue. I was getting caught up on the fact that I couldn't define a drag path from the blue square to two places. I'm still not completely sure how it works since there is no path defined.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to learn the basics before trying to tweak workflows without understanding what you are doing. Some will now inulst me again that I am condescending, but my long experience as teacher/trainer says that it doesn't help to get step-by-step instructions if you don't understand what you are doing. I already posted some links to blog posts.  Getting a fully step-by-step here could maybe solve your present use case, but next time you'll be stuck again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did learn the very basics of drag and drop first (one to one, then many to one) so I figured this next step wouldn't be too complicated.

I learn best from analyzing each step in instructions and tutorials, then applying that knowledge to other situations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group