Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

drag and drop...

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apologies again if this has already been covered. I have created a drag and drop game with 8 topics listed 1-8, and a bookshelf with 8 sections. I want the viewer to be able to drag each topic to the bookshelf, but automatically appear in order when they do so, i.e. if i move the 1st topic to shelf 7, if automatically goes to shelf 1. When it snaps into the correct order, I want the dialogue specific to that topic to begin.

How would I go about this?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll just need one drop target (invisible) and then set the object actions with Advanced Actions. The advanced actions will hide the drag source and show a placeholder copy of that drag source, and then start the dialogue. I mocked up a quick example you can see here, and download the cptx to examine here (Cp8 file).

This only works in Flash, for some reason the html5 version doesn't properly hide the drag source when it's dropped, though I expect you could get it to work with some experimentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would also be my advice, but I would really recommend to replace the Advanced by Shared actions, typically example to use that new feature. You can also shrink the dragged object after dropping to 0% (instead of hiding it) and/or reduce Opacity to 0%. Just another idea, if the hiding is causing issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, opacity and size! I knew there was another solution.

Shared Actions is also a great suggestion, I didn't think it was available because the menu item was greyed out, but it turns out that's just because I didn't have any Shared Actions in the project. Whoops! Definitely go with one Shared Action instead of 8 Advanced Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D&D has a lot of hidden secrets. And whenever possible I will go with shared actions, it even saves on filesize, not only on time; Although Rod doesn't agree with me. I wrote several blog posts about shared actions with examples. Preparing one at this moment with tips for D&D, and shared actions are part of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared Actions are great, though I would kill for the ability to edit them without having to create an Advanced Action from the Shared Action, set the parameters, and re-Save as Shared Action. I'd also love to be able to see the parameter descriptions after you've created an Advanced Action from a Shared Action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean, for both requests, logged them, did you? I don't care that much about the workaround, but about the fact that you have to type out all the descriptions again when you want to save a changed shared action. I don't really create an advanced action, just open the shared action from the template, edit it and then save immediately as shared action. Indeed, the descriptions do not show up, just dropdown lists (but they lack for the parameters in the condition, which feels very weird).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for your help guys! Unfortunately I can't access the mock up from my work computer, but when i get home i'll be able to start this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources