Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dual HTML5 and Flash Publishing

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There have been conversations on this before, but no solution that I have found.

I am publishing content with both HTML5 and Flash output. While HTML5 only content works everywhere I find the speed of the Flash content is better so prefer to have this version available to people who have Flash installed.

The problem is that Captivate (even the 2017 version) doesn't seem to redirect to HTML5, but instead forces the user to an enable/install Flash page. This occurs on both Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge, Firefox. While my content is generally loaded into an LMS, the problem exists even without the added complication of an LMS. In the LMS instead of redirecting to the Flash page, you can often just get an empty window. The content doesn't work at all on a Mac although the HTML5 content does play on iOS.

I develop with Storyline as well and publish with the same dual HTML5 and Flash options which work as you would expect. That is, they play Flash when installed and HTML5 when Flash isn't installed. 

If anyone has a workaround, code change, or any other advise that will sort out this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Louise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here is that the 'sniffer' code in the multiscreen.html file (produced when you dual publish to both SWF and HTML5) is designed to branch to the HTML5 version of the content ONLY when it sees a mobile browser, that is, a browser on a mobile device such as a tablet or smart phone.  It is NOT set up to branch according to the capabilities of the browser per se.  So if the browser viewing the content happens to be on a desktop computer, then it branches to the SWF version of the content, regardless of whether or not the end user's desktop browser would be more than capable of running the HTML5 version.

This has been an issue for several versions now. Please log an enhancement request with Adobe to add your voice to the others that have requested an improvement to the way this code works.  Now that Adobe itself has proclaimed the end of support for Flash in the near future, there does not appear to be any good reason for the dual publishing code to work this way.  It should ONLY branch to SWF if the target browser is incapable of HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod - I'll log an enhancement request, but agree it shouldn't be working this way. If the HTML5 version didn't run significantly slower than the Flash version, I'd be happy to ditch Flash altogether!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the fact that HTML5 performance and capability is nowhere as powerful as SWF is something of an "elephant in the room" with e-learning.

I especially miss the incredible performance and almost unlimited scaling that can be achieved with vector animation from the Flash Player.  There's so far nothing anywhere near as good or easy to work with in the HTML5 vector animation world.

But the die is now well and truly cast against SWF, Adobe has printed the obituary as being somewhere in 2020. Time to look to the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the exact same issue and I have the exact same lack of understanding of how Adobe (the high profile company they are) did not address this before it became an issue. Forcing the Flash version to desktop/laptop users! Is there no way for code to detect the browser being used and if it's a modern browser, HTML5 compatible, it would load the HTML5 version - and detect if Flash is enabled, load the Flash version?? Instead, users get a blank screen (what a terrible user experience) and non-technical people have to figure out how to enable their Flash player in the browser settings. Clients don't get it either. We have to explain, "well, this is how the Captivate code works... sorry". Beyond my ability to comprehend when 2 versions back, Adobe already had plans to kill Flash support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used dual publishing since the announcement of EOL for Flash Player. Just publish to HTML5.

I can suspect why the Flash output is still available, because many still use very old browsers and old eLearning courses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is, many organizations have their people working on various devices, various browsers. Not everyone is locked down on a corporate issued machine. Our clients need the dual publish option. The concept to load a Flash version to people on older browsers is a good one, but it fails where the solution is one or the other. Flash on desktops/laptops. HTML5 only when on a phone or tablet. We know Storyline's method works like a charm, as "llindop" expressed already here. Why hasn't Captivate done the same? This issue is a huge headache for our client and their users, and it makes us look bad as we promised a solution in Captivate that we now have to explain, comes with some caveats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources