• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easiest way to direct a learner to a specific slide if they answer a single quiz question wrong

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to set up some Knowledge Checks throughout my course. Each one will only have a single question. For each of these one-question Knowledge Checks, if they answer the question correctly, I want them to go to a specfic slide, which I am going to set up as a "success" slide for that Knowledge Check. If they answer the question incorrectly, I want them to be taken to another slide, which will serve as a "failure" slide for the Knowledge Check. 

What is the easiest way to set this up, so that a learner is taken to a specific slide if they get a question wrong (for example)? Is there a built-in variable for this, and if so, what would be the steps for setting this up to work on the question slide I'm using it on? Likewise, if there is such a built-in variable for "question answered wrong," then I assume if there is also a variable for ansering a question right. Because I want to use that one to send them to another slide that would serve as the success slide for that Knowledge Check. 

Any help is deeply appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question indicates that you are probably very new to Captivate and haven't as yet undertaken any kind of formal training to learn the application.  I would strongly suggest you get some training or else you're in for a rough ride with Captivate being quite a high-end professional tool.

With the Knowledge Check slide selected, go to the Quiz tab and look down to find the Actions section.  There you will find where you can select the On Success action (when the learner gets the question correct). And if you deselect Infinite Attempts, you can also select an On Last Attempt action for when they get it wrong.

To direct someone to a specific slide, the action you need to select is the Jump to Slide action.  Once you select this, then you can select which slide is the target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a work-around. I am epert level in SL 360 (have been a professional ID for 8 years) and am used to using a results slide for each KC (with its own percentage score, along with detailed success and failure feedback slides for each KC. And yes, I am returning to Captivate after about a 6-year hiatus (wish I was still using SL -- a superior tool in every way). But Captivate only allows for one Results slide and one score per course/project (unlike SL), so if you want to score each KC individually and use detailed Success/Failure feedback slides for KCs, you have to use workarounds, it appears. So that's what I'm trying to do here. If you have a better idea for this, please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These are not workarounds.  These are just indicative of the fact that different authoring tools approach things in different ways.  Captivate offers the ID the choice of displaying the correct or incorrect feedback on the slide itself or of using the On Success or On Last Attempt actions to jump to a different slide and then give whatever feedback is required there.  It all depends on how you prefer to show the feedback.  You are not limited in any way.

Captivate allows only one Quiz Results slide that is automatically generated at the end of the scored Quiz, but that doesn't prevent the author from adding other additional result slides at intervals throughout the quizx and using Captivate's Quizzing System Variables to display intermediate result if they wish.  

I have also used Storyline versions, including version 1, version 2 and SL 360. Though it is certainly a fine authoring tool, I do not share your view that it is superior to Captivate.  We will have to agree to disagree on that topic.  But if you publish your Storyline 360 project as a SCORM it can only have one final score reported to the LMS (regardless of how many results slides you have set up inside the project) because the SCORM standard specifies that a SCO can only have a single pass/fail result.   And that result is determined by the Success or Failure criteria configured in the quiz settings for that SCO.  This applies for both Storyline and Captivate.

In Captivate, a KC slide does not have a score and cannot report to the quiz.  If you want a quiz question to report to the quiz for a credit then you use a normal quiz slide for that purpose.  KC slides are just what their name implies, a check on whether or not the learner has gained the knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrary to normal Quiz slides, not all Quizzing system variables are available for KC slides. To see the differences, have a look at this blog:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/knowledge-check-slides-tips

You can download a free descriptive table with system quizzing variables and get tips for using them:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/using-quizzing-system-variables

Understanding the Submit process, which is valid for all types of quiz slides:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/02/captivates-quizzes-2-submit-process/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources