• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing XML-Export for translation

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently working on captivate functions for translations. For this I have also searched the forums, but find little information on how the actual translation works.
The XML variant is the one that is meant for external companies with special software. But I can't imagine that there is no easy and free way to adapt the XML code to make it more readable/ translatable. It would simply be necessary to hide all irrelevant lines. Is there any experience with a working workflow.
Alternatively, the export of the captions (.doc) could be used, but this is difficult to read in the relevant project due to the big font sizes. Are there perhaps also simple workflows here, which facilitate the translation work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most Captivate users are grateful that there are not one but TWO different workflows available for translation.  If you think there should be even more choices, by all means log your enhancement request here:

https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?Y9CHVD

However, I should probably warn you that Adobe is only likely to listen to and smile on enhancements that would appear to be likely to sell a lot more licenses of Captivate.  The number of people demanding more workflows for translation may not be as high as you would think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not really demanding another workflow, more like a clarification about the translation part. Most post don't talk about how the translation process with the xml is done in detail, or what software is used. They simply say: Export xml, translate it, import it back in. It can't be that much of a secret.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use styles in Word to temporarily set back the big font text to a readable text? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a good idea. I am no style expert, but what about colors or other markers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to reset the styles back before re-importing. Styles include colors.

You can also make the document size much bigger and reduce the view percentage to adapt to the big fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may need to be careful here.  Changing styles to make the translation a little easier to view is one thing.  But I think you will find that if you happen to leave those altered styles in place by accident then you could see the alternations also reflected in the Captivate text when you re-import the translated Word doc back into the CPTX project file.

Before you go too far down that path it might be an idea to check the impact of any potential changes.  Cleaning up after the translation is imported could become more onerous than just living with the big letters when translating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh...looks like Lieve and I had the same idea.  The styles do matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Rod, I mentioned explicitly 'temporary'... Styles are so underestimated even in Word.

That is why I pointed to a 'big' document and view zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly our intended project is to big for a "Word" export (about 15.000 words). The created document is empty, seems like it can't handle all those words. There were no problems with our smaller project. Only the XML export seems to work on our big project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources