Exit

Embed a captivate project in a normal website

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I`m a total beginner with captivate and I`ve got a quite silly question:

How can I publish my captivate project in HTML 5 on a normal website? (Or embed it into my normal website) I don`t have a LMS and I don`t see how to do this without FTP.

Does anyone know? And could explain it step by step?

Thanks a lot!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that if you publish your course from Captivate to HTML5, but you don't have an LMS, then you would need to use something like FTP to upload all the published files to a folder on a web server in order to have learners view the content.

With an LMS you publish your HTML5 course content as SCORM zip packages.  All LMSs usually have a way to upload the zip file to the LMS and the LMS then works out where to store and unpack the zip archive.  The LMS will also usually take care of how to display a link so that learners can launch the course modules.

But with a web server things may be different.  Once your content is loaded to a folder on the server, you will need to set up a hyperlink somewhere that allows your students to launch the index.html file at the root level of that folder.  The index.html file is the one that then pulls in all the other files required to display the content in the end user's browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Just to make sure:

When I don`t have an LMS, I:

1. Publish the project als HTML5

2. Load the complete content to the server

3. Set a hyperlink to the index.html file on my website.

Right?

And how can I upload my content to the webserver without FTP? Do I have to use extra software or does Adobe Captivate has a solution for that?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FTP is the way to go unless you have direct access to the web server through your network. There are lots of free FTP clients out there, including plugins to browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, the link must go to the index.html file INSIDE the folder where you uploaded all of the HTML5 output from Captivate.  (Not one of the other index.html files that might be on the same server doing other stuff.) Once that file loads in the end user's browser it will pull in all the other files it needs.

Captivate doesn't really give you an FTP client.  As Dan suggests, the required software isn't hard to come by.  What you WILL usually have issues with is getting the FTP client to connect to your web server with all the required permissions and passwords.  But if you have access to a web server already, you should already have some way to upload stuff.  The web ISP may even have provided some kind of web-based maintenance interface that you can use for uploading and changing files.  Try asking them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can upload from withn Captivate directly to SCORM Cloud, but that is for testing purposes.

You expect Captivate to include a FTP solution to upload to a webserver? Sorry, tu that is not the case. I am using Filezilla as FTP client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I was so confused, because Captivate used to have a FTP solution. And now it`s gone...So I thought there must be another way to upload the files to the webserver directly from Captivate.

So I can just use Filezilla instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must confuse with another application (Dreamweaver?). I use Captivate since version 1 and it had never a FTP feature. In the past before the death of Flash player was announced you could publish to SWF and it was much easier to embed a pure SWF into a website.

I just mentioned Filezilla, there are many other FTP clients around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filezilla will work fine after publishing as HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see filezilla as an available plug in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Filezilla is not a plugin, it is an application which allows you to upload files to a webserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources