• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when re-entering course on LMS with html5

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on the latest version (11.0.1.266) of Captivate 2019.   When we exit out of a course and then re-enter through the LMS in Chrome 73.0.3683.86, we get this error and the loading gif just sits there and spins.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'charAt' of undefined

at cp.QuizState.readNumber (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1972:423)

at cp.QuizState.readString (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1974:34)

at cp.PlaybackController.restoreObjectsFromState (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:2052:20)

at Function.cp.resumeValuesFromDataChunk (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1967:460)

at cp.PlaybackController.RestoreQuizState (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:2093:35)

at Function.cp.NewQuizLibraryInit (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1589:276)

at Function.cp.CPPreInit (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1597:503)

at Function.cp.ContinueCPInit (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:2923:33)

at LoadContent (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:1966:439)

at InitializeExecuted (eval at e (CPXHRLoader.js:37), <anonymous>:6196:5)

Any ideas?

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

You're only going to get the official Captivate Support people involved if you call Adobe Support direct.  Your chances of getting them to offer any help here are fairly slim.

If you are using a SCORM LMS and you want the bookmarking to work more reliably, then you need to turn Self-Paced Learning OFF and leave Never Send Resume Data UNCHECKED.

Self-paced Learning stores data about which slide the user got up to but it stores it in the browser.  Resume Data also stores info about where the learner

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm if you have successfully created and uploaded courses to that LMS with the same version of Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just upgraded to this version. The older versions of Captivate do not have this error.

The course functions ok as long as you don’t leave and re-enter the course. It works ok in Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check in SCORM Cloud, to see if the problem is linked to the LMS or to Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to force the SCORM Cloud to open the course in html5? It is opening the Flash version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot upload it? That means something is wrong in deed with the setup. I makes no sense anymore to use a SWF output, haven't used it since a couple of years.

What is the filename? Avoid using special characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It uploaded and published fine to the SCORM cloud. When I launch it, it runs the Flash version. We have to publish both html5 and Flash so that our Firefox users can access the course. Captivate defaults Chrome users to Flash but we force them to run the html5 version so that the users don’t have to deal with the “allow Flash” popup.

Courses that we have up in Captivate 8 and 9 will work with html5 in Chrome. It appears that the problem with the error started with the 2019 version.

In order to see if the problem is with Captivate or our LMS, we need to test the SCORM cloud version in html5. I will publish an html5 only version to the test cloud and report the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is new information. Do not use the sual publishing anymore, where you have to use the multiscreen.html file to launch. It is not working well since a couple of versions. Try publishing ony to HTML5 and see if the course is functional then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The multiscreen.html file in the dual output is a 'sniffer' that is coded to detect whether the user is on a mobile device browser (i.e. on a phone or tablet) or a non-mobile browser (i.e. a desktop or laptop).  The code defaults to Flash unless the browser is a mobile.  This is (unfortunately) regardless of whether or not the non-mobile browser would be better off playing the HTML5 version as well.

Adobe hasn't seen fit to update the code in multiscreen.html, probably because they (like Lilybiri) see no future in SWF content anyway.  They would be assuming that most users would now prefer to just publish to HTML5.

If you want to force users to view HTML5 content, just publish to HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod and Lilybiri. We would like to use the html5 only version but we are still having issues with proper operation in Firefox. I am testing on the SCORM cloud and sometimes when I exit during a quiz, when I return it goes to the scene before the quiz. When I hit next to enter the quiz, the answer is already selected and I am locked out from doing anything. It functions fine in the Flash version.

We are still experimenting with different options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to ask this earler. HTML5 seems much more sensitive to some editing. Did you delete any embedded objects on quiz slides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you mean by embedded. Do you mean the standard content that comes with the default slide?

If so, I am not sure. We have been using the same quiz templates for years. Let me build a new sample quiz from scratch and see how it functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained a lot about default quiz slides in a sequence of 5 posts. Here are the first two, where embedded objects are explained:

Captivate's Quizzes (1): Terminology - eLearning

Captivate's Quizzes (2): Submit Process - eLearning

The quiz master slides are part of the theme. Another possible cause can be upgrading those themes over multiple versions. Especially quizzing master slides have changed a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input so far. We found the solution for my original problem. It was a filter in our LMS that should not have been there.

I am still working on the return to quiz problem when I publish in html5 only. If the user selects the wrong answer and leaves the course, when they return they go to the scene before the quiz instead of the quiz question. This does not happen in flash. It appears that in the Flash version, when the user clicks submit, suspend data is sent to the LMS. In the html5 version, it does not. I tried creating a new course with only a few basic questions and it exhibits the same behavior. Has anyone seen a workaround or solution to this problem?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the SWF version is using another kind of bookmarking.

Do you have Self-Paced Learning bookmarking turned on under Project > Skin Editor > Playbar settings?

Do you have Never Send Resume Data selected or deselected under LMS Reporting > Advanced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have self paced learning turned on and Never Send Resume Data unchecked.

How do I get someone form Captivate support involved in this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it the same in SCORM Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The SCORM cloud has the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're only going to get the official Captivate Support people involved if you call Adobe Support direct.  Your chances of getting them to offer any help here are fairly slim.

If you are using a SCORM LMS and you want the bookmarking to work more reliably, then you need to turn Self-Paced Learning OFF and leave Never Send Resume Data UNCHECKED.

Self-paced Learning stores data about which slide the user got up to but it stores it in the browser.  Resume Data also stores info about where the learner got to but also a lot of other information about their scoring and state of quiz questions, but it gets stored in the LMS database.

These two different forms of bookmarking are not meant to be used together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob. You are a life saver. In all of my years of using Captivate I never knew that I could turn the local browser cookie off. Turning that off has allowed the course to return to the quiz question.

Now all I have to do is go back and fix about 100 courses and republish.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help.  It took a few years before I stumbled across that one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it has been a while, but do you know what filter in your LMS was being used that could have caused this issue?

I am currently having this exact problem with a course and looking for ideas.

Captivate 2019: 11.5.0.476

Chrome 76.0.3809.87; and IE11

HTML publish only

Self-Paced Learning OFF

Never Send Resume Data OFF

Works in the SCORM cloud.

Have other courses published from same Captivate/pc, loaded to same LMS that are working with no issues, same settings as above.

Tried publishing from different user PC (same Captivate version), same result.

SumTotal LMS 2015.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever figure it out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources