• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exe. files and the demise of Flash

New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating e-learning content and am struggling to figure out how to future proof it post the retirement of Flash.  I want it to be executable, but isn't Flash required to view them? Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, both exe and pdf formats are based on SWF. Using PhoneGap to publish an app is an alternative for mobile use. Or tell the learners to keep an older browser alive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly then, given the way that our company IT is regulated, I think I'm really only going to be able to use Captivate for capturing software video and demo and linking them as an MP4 to PowerPoint.

This functionality is definitely valuable, but to be honest, I think that Adobe should be upfront about the fact that Captivate as it stands now has a pretty limited shelf life as none of the fancy learning interaction type things are going to be of much use going forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to disagree about '... none of the fancy learning interaction type things are going to be of much use going forward'. Maybe you should explain what you mean by that sentence? AFAIK only rollovers for mobile devices are not working compared with Flash, but they have no sense on a touch screen neither.

I am publishing to HTML since over a year. On the contrary: with HTML output the integration of OAM's (HTML animiations), the use of JS has become much more easier. Moreover Captivate offers 3 different ways to make projects available on all devices: rescalable HTML, Fluid Boxes workflow and Breakpoint Views workflow. Really I think it will be must tougher for other eLearning authoring tools. That HTML is not supported by all browsers in the same way is not due to Captivate but to the person who started banning Flash player before a standard alternative was available.

Maybe you missed all the new features of Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lily - I though I must have been missing something!! In that case, I just don't understand HTML5 projects.  When I publish, then opt to view the output nothing happens.  I will investigate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that happens to me as well. You have to know that all HTML output is meant to be displayed as a web page. Trying to see the output locally (localhost) is not always working perfectly. Try uploading to a webserver (you can install one on your system) to watch the 'real' thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aah - now I can see it.  Now just need to figure out how to upload to our site.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources