Highlighted

Exit Button Not Working as Expected

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added an exit button to the end of a Captivate course created via a PowerPoint integration. I used the shape option and checked the Use as Button check box.

I set timing as:

• Display for Rest of Slide
  • Changed Appear After to 0 secs
  • Unchecked Pause After

Timeline changes:

• SmartShape  button set to 1 second so the user can click the Exit button immediately
  • Slide set for 5 seconds

I have tested this in IE11 and Chrome and find that each time I get to the last slide and click the Exit button, there is a pause and I have to click the button 1- 2 more times before the course closes. I need to course to close on the first click if possible.

First click, nothing happens. Approximately 10 seconds later, click again and course closes. Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exit Button Not Working as Expected

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added an exit button to the end of a Captivate course created via a PowerPoint integration. I used the shape option and checked the Use as Button check box.

I set timing as:

• Display for Rest of Slide
  • Changed Appear After to 0 secs
  • Unchecked Pause After

Timeline changes:

• SmartShape  button set to 1 second so the user can click the Exit button immediately
  • Slide set for 5 seconds

I have tested this in IE11 and Chrome and find that each time I get to the last slide and click the Exit button, there is a pause and I have to click the button 1- 2 more times before the course closes. I need to course to close on the first click if possible.

First click, nothing happens. Approximately 10 seconds later, click again and course closes. Any thoughts on what I may be doing incorrectly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 25, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the timeline and the timing tab?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to ask for the timeline as well, don't hink you understand anything about its functionality, nor about the pausing points.

Why have such a short slide instead of the normal duration, why take out the pausing point? In 0.1 sec that slide is finished....

Have a look at:

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2019 0
Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this course content going to be delivered from a SCORM LMS of some kind?

If so, trying to get the Exit action to work at all might be problematic because sometimes that action would try to close the entire browser and that's NOT what you want to happen.  If the content is actually running inside a frameset or iFrame, then Exit might not do anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and yes you are correct. I don't understand this and was reaching out for guidance. Thanks for the content you provided. I'll review and hope I can find the information needed. I shortened the timeline to ensure the slide is counted when our employees advance through the training without truly reading it. This is our annual compliance training and in most cases, the content doesn't change so employees just advance through the courses without reading the slides. Last year, we had all our slides set at the 3 seconds default and because employees were advancing through the training, slides were not counting as reviewed if they were not on the slide for 3 seconds. This caused a lot of frustration for our 30K plus employees and I'm trying to prevent that from happening this year. I shortened the time line on the last slide assuming that once employees got to the last slide, they'd click the Exit button fairly quickly.  Thanks again for the information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The course is running on the Cornerstone on Demand LMS. We pull PowerPoints into Captivate, add skin, toc, etc. and then publish as a SCORM file. The file is then loaded into our LMS. The Exit button works fine in preview mode of Captivate, but once publishes and is loaded in the LMS, there is a pause before the user can click the Exit button. I'm having a feeling if the training is built directly into Captivate as opposed to an imported PPT, the button functionality would probably work as expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That very short slide was not a PPT imported slide. Pausing point and functionality is as for any button in Captivate. Especially if you want this to be a SCORM, why not just score that button and set up the Reporting  so that only the learners who clicked that button could get a passing score. A valid alternative for the much less trustworthy Slide Views requirement.

Not a good idea PPT import, it is like putting a very light old motor in a big sports car.... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0
RodWard LATEST
Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think building from the ground up in Captivate is going to change the behaviour of the Exit button per se.

What I would suggest is that you forget about using an Exit button with an Exit action and just set the button to pause the final slide so that the learner can read whatever text you want them to see before the click the button to then unpause the timeline and allow the slide to reach the end of the module's timeline.

You may need to test how to set the Project > Start and End > End Option to work best with your particular LMS.  If the content is running in a separate window to the LMS then you might choose the CLOSE PROJECT action.  But if it is running in a frameset in the same window as the LMS then the STOP PROJECT action usually works better.  This way, the module terminates gracefully as soon as it reaches the final frame of the timeline, which usually triggers the required termination calls to the LMS.  You shouldn't need to use the Exit action at all this way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2019 0