Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First Course Quiz Issues

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am close to publishing my first course that I have been working on for a few weeks now. I am having some difficulty understanding certain behaviour I am seeing in my course. Hopefully someone from this forum can help me make sense of what I am experiencing.

1. I have created a Knowledge Check question with a built-in submit button with 1 attempt. I added a custom next button to the slide and want this to appear after the first attempt of the question. I have changed the on success and last attempt actions to show the custom next button. However, this does not happen instantanously and weirdly after already pressing the submit button I have to press it again or click on another area of the slide to make the next button appear - is this expected behaviour? I feel I need the next button to allow time to for learners to read the feedback and progress in their own time. 

2. After my Final Exam results slide I have a placeholder summary slide with custom navigation buttons. Despite specifying that the previous button should return to the results slide, nothing happens when I click this. I can probably get around this as I wouldn't want learners to be able to return to the results slide anyway and I will probably disable the continue button for failed attempts. But out of curiousity and for future development - why can't I return to the results slide?

Thanks,

Reuben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your confusion is understandable but quite normal for new Captivate users:

• The On Success and On Last Attempt actions only fire AFTER the user dismisses the feedback captions on the quiz question.  There is no other runtime event available between the On Slide Enter event that happens when the slide timeline starts.  This is normal behaviour for a Captivate quiz slide.  There are workarounds, but they involve turning off the default Feedback captions and adding your own objects to fulfil their role.  When the default feedback captions are removed, the On Success event fires for a correct answer as soon as the Submit button is clicked.  The On Last Attempt event fires when the user has just used up their last unsuccessful attempt on the quiz slide.  If only 1 attempt is allowed, it will fire immediately after submitting the wrong answer.
  • For your second issue...Do you have Backward Movement disabled in the Quiz Settings?  That might be causing it.  But there are other possible reasons as well.   What settings do you have for the Quiz > Settings > Required drop down?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Rod.

I have resolved the knowledge check issue based on the link Lilybiri sent me to your article on this.

Still no luck with the results slide. Like I said, this is not an issue as I have prevented users who didn't pass from continuing until they have passed, so it's unlikely they will need to go back anyway, and if they do they will be able to navigate using the menu I have created. But for your information, backward movement is enabled and under required I have it as user can skip the quiz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm... that article was written by me, not by Rod. Misunderstanding, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have published many articles about quizzing, because it seems to be one of the features which leads to many questions everywhere.

You'll find the description of the default Submit Process in:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/02/captivates-quizzes-2-submit-process/

And the tweak mentioned by Rod is to be found in this one:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/04/quiz-tweak-4-submit-process/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the link to the tweak written by Rod was helpful and I have resolved the issue I had with my knowledge check question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources