• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force Answer Feedback Audio to Play Through Before User Can Continue

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would someone be able to help with a challenge I am facing on quiz question slides?

In this quiz, I have multiple choice slides, an abbreviated example of which is as follows:

Question: Lou needs to hire an engineer for a project at work. His college buddy, Phil, owns a well reputed engineering firm and wants the job. Can Lou hire Phil?

Answers: (A) Yes, even though this could be a conflict of interest. (B) No, because this is a clear conflict of interest. (C) Lou should recommend Phil for the job and report the potential conflict of interest to HR.

(C) is correct.

If the user clicks on (A) or (B), feedback pops up saying the answer is incorrect and giving an explanation as to why, then says “select Y or click anywhere to continue.” If the user clicks on (C), feedback pops up saying the answer is correct and giving an explanation as to why, with the same language about clicking on Y or anywhere else to continue.

All of the feedback boxes are narrated by an audio clip, so the user not only sees the feedback but hears it.

My dilemma is: As it stands, the user can click to continue as soon as the feedback pops up, thereby skipping the narrated explanation. Is there a way to make sure the feedback box stays up and plays the narrated explanation all the way through before the user can click to continue?

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Audio and video , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is possible, but needs lot of tweaking. I should have a blog post explaining the workflow, but can you tell me if this is a non-responsive project or a responsive project with fluid boxes? Do you allow multiple attempts on question level? Which version are you using (Help, About Captivate)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lilybiri, for your response. I am using Cp 2019. Does "responsive" mean it adjusts for viewing by any device? If so, this is a non-responsive project. It does not allow multiple attempts at question level; rather, it takes the user through one attempt at each question, and if the user fails the quiz, he or she can click "try again" on the results slide, which starts the quiz from the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it occurred to me to mention that at the question level, the user selects answer (A), (B) or (C), then clicks on a "Submit" button. Feedback appears (and plays) upon clicking "Submit."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of what you want is explained in steps in this blog which is part of a sequence of 11 posts I created for the eLearning community:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/04/quiz-tweak-4-submit-process/

For your use case, you will still change something more. I am not sure how different the length of the audio clips is. If it is very different, the first scenario, which is the easiest one, may not be possible:

1. Time each custom feedback message to correspond to the length of the audio clip. Then start the Continue button timeline near the end of all clips.
  2. Second scenario will need advanced actions... maybe I will write another blog to explain (have some reasons not to put every idea immediately here due to bad experiences in the past).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have written out a post, hope it will be moderated tomorrow.  I will also transfer it to my personal blog (takes bit more time).

Blog has been approved in the community. There is an embedded example output file as well to show the functionality. Have a look at:

https://elearning.adobe.com/2019/11/quiz-tweak-7-forced-audio-feedback/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, thank you so much for your response and blog post. I have read over your blog entry a number of times, along with the older blog entries referenced in it, and I am learning a lot. This is some fantastic information for anyone learning the ins and outs of Captivate. Thank you for taking the time to spell out such thorough steps.

Using your instructions as my guide, I have been working on this issue all week and have made some progress. However, I have not been able to achieve the result you did in the example you shared, and I wanted to ask your advice. Because I am not accustomed to building with advanced actions or other functions beyond Captivate basics, I am probably not connecting some dots, so I’m trying to isolate which step I’m not setting up correctly. My first thought is that my error is in Step 6: (Advanced Actions). I was able to set up the advanced action SuccessAct, I think correctly, but I think I may be wrong in how I have set up the WrongAct (A an B) portion of this step. I set up three separate advanced actions with different action names, one for success, a second one as WrongActA, and a third as WrongActB. They each have the look of your screenshot for SuccessAct, but I don’t see and have not created anything that looks like your screenshot for WrongAct.

The result is, when I preview this quiz question and select the correct answer, the correct feedback appears. However, when I select a wrong answer, nothing happens at all… there is a pause, and then a continuation to the next slide.

Would you be willing to share any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? I will be happy to post any screenshots you think would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can start asking questions, but will offer you something special for Black Friday.

Contact me using the contact form in my website. www.lilybiri.com. I will schedule  a Connect session to meet you and check your setup,. You'll learn how to correct it. Special offer, for free! Do not forget to mention your location, because we may have a time difference (I am in Belgium, CET).

Just regret very much that I am not allowed to offer Advanced/Shared Actions webinars anymore for Adobe. That was the case until 5 years ago. All webinars are now only for newbies and/or hype new features whether they are used or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources