• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Courses not giving automatic credit in LMS

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having an issue where about 30% of the population (of 1700 users) is not getting credit for courses completed.  This seems to be a random issue and our LMS vendor wanted me to verify that the setting in our SCORM files is set to: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status",”completed”)

Anyone have an idea on how I can check this?  I looked in test settings but didn't see anything other than checking boxes for completion or quiz results.

Any support you can provide will be much appreciated!!

Thank you,

Tania

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably in your scormdriver.js file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick reply....I'm pretty new to Captivate, can you elaborate a little.  Where do I find the scormdriver.js file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the published SCORM folder you'll find that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a little cautionary point here:

Your client might be thinking that you've created your very own SCORM code and that you've got a bug in your code.  That's not the case.

Captivate's SCORM drivers are created by Rustici software, the same people behind SCORM Cloud LMS, which is generally acknowledged as the most SCORM-compliant LMS out there.  Their code is solid. There is not likely to be anything you would need to change on the SCORM driver files.  You'd probably only break something, so leave it alone.

The more important question to ask here is WHY such a large percentage (70%) of users have absolutely NO problem getting completion for the same course modules that almost a third of users DO have issues with.  If there was a bug in the SCORM driver, everyone would usually be failing to get completion.  Something else is causing this.

In most cases the issue will turn out to be something with the way you have configured your SCORM Reporting settings, or else it is something that those 30% of users are doing (perhaps in an attempt to circumvent actually completing the course as they should).

So, to help debug this further, can you please show us screenshots of your Quiz > Reporting, Quiz > Settings, and Quiz > Pass or Fail screens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing (that I would screw it up and why only 30% of the population). Below are the screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will leave this to Rod, but I would certainly change the field 'Required' back to 'Optional'..... You have that requirement already in the Reporting section. You can force the user to take all questions by not including the Skip/Back buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess at present would be that either the learners are taking too long to complete the module and the LMS is timing out so that when they DO get to the end it's no longer listening.

OR

Your Success/Completion criteria setting is configures so that the learners need to pass the quiz in order to achieve Completion.  So if they DON'T pass the quiz by the time they get to the end, they won't be marked as completed.  If they are failing the quiz on the one and only attempt that you have allowed them, jumping the user back to the beginning of the module (slide 1), as shown by the On Fail action on your Quiz > Pass or Fail screen, is not going to allow them another shot at passing the quiz. 

Is there a reason why you haven't opted to give the learner say 3 goes at the quiz with a Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results slide that would allow them to reset the quiz to zero again and give it another shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a compliance course, so they do need to pass the test in order to complete. The issue I am having is they DO pass the test but do not get credit in the LMS.  Meaning, some (again roughly 30%) get to the "congratulations you passed" screen that shows their percentage, etc. but the LMS still shows them as "in progress".  Do you think that could be a timing out issue (as mentioned above)?  If so, my guess is that is a setting in the LMS rather than Captivate, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it would likely be an LMS thing.  But there are a number of reasons why an LMS might stop listening to the communication coming from the course modules.  Timeouts are one reason.  An interruption in the communication with the SCORM API is another reason.  That can happen sometimes if your users are opening other browser windows from within the course.

What happens in your module if the learner fails the quiz, then when they click the Continue button on the Quiz Results slide it jumps them back to the first slide of the module again?  Does it look to the learner as if their quiz score has reset?  That might NOT actually be true, and it could also be another reason why they think they have passed but the LMS is not recording the score.  In order to reset the quiz properly, you are supposed to use the Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Result slide.  But you only get that option if you allow more that one attempt at the quiz.

(I normally give learners 2 or 3 attempts allowed on the quiz and set up the Retake Quiz button on the Quiz Results page.  If this compliance course is so important that people should be required to pass on their first attempt, ideally you'd want management to be informed about anyone that didn't.  That's not common in my experience.)

Having the learners required to pass the quiz is always desirable, especially for compliance courses. I'm not questioning that. What I am seeing is that you've only given them a single attempt allowed in the Quiz > Pass or Fail settings. That would mean that if they DON'T pass the quiz on the first attempt, then they'd really need to close down the module and re-open it again from the LMS before they would be allowed another shot at passing the quiz.  Is that what you expect them to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification.  The desired result is that they retake the entire module as the quiz questions are embedded throughout the course.  I'm okay with giving multiple attempts.  I'll change the attempts and click the "retake" button and see if that makes a difference.  Is there anything else you're seeing that should be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just what Lieve said about the Required drop down being set to Pass Required.  Usually Optional is the safer setting.  The problem with Pass Required is that it can mean users may get stuck on the Quiz Results slide with nowhere left to go if they haven't passed the quiz.

Try optional first to see if things improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your suggestions, support and quick replies!  I will make the changes and hopefully it fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources