• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Linear Path Animation disappears on publishing for devices, but is there in preview

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CP 2017.

I have a simple linear animation in one slide. I've previewed it many times, and it works great.

Once I publish it for devices, the ALL of the images in the animation disappear. I have tested this from my desktop as well as from a web server.

I'm really frustrated and could use some help resolving this issue. I am working on a deadline.

http://www.derudderthorpe.com/sample_issue.cptx

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you preview? If it is a non-responsive project, meant for HTML output, you have to preview with F11, Preview HTML in Browser.

Are you on 10.0.1.285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri​ it is a responsive project. And I used the HTML5 tracker so it should be fine. Here is a link the the actual file that contains the issue: http://www.derudderthorpe.com/sample_issue.cptx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on 10.0.1.285, please?  Fluid Boxes?

I'"m sorry but for security reasons I neveer donwload a file from the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fluid boxes. And I am on version 10.0.1.285

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breakpoint views? How did you set the motion path up for the different breakpoints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done that yet. I do the regular desktop version first, then after my stakeholders approve, I then do the other screen views. I could understand why this would affect the other screen views, but since I'm just testing the desktop view now, it should be fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it worked in Prevew project, ave no idea what it can be. Motion paths work normally fine in HTML output, and since you used Preview, ¨Project it cannot be due to pausing the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you suggest I do? Not having this work is NOT an option for me at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never experienced that a motion paht didn't work after uploading to a webserver, if it worked with Prefew, Project. Try different browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri​ can you help me understand why this request for help keeps being rejected. I really need help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered to your question, didn't you see it? I asked about the Preview method you used.

Checked the moderator queue: you posted the same question twice, it is the duplicate that is rejected by many moderators. The first question was approved and I answered to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try it in 7 different browsers. The same result in all 7.

I guess I will try to rebuild the whole thing and see what the issue is. A lot of extra work for me.

Really unfortunate and frustrating. There are so many odd issues with this product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and painstakingly rebuilt the animation. Here is what I learned:

• In this particular animation, there were several animated images that were sourced from the same file. Captivate did not tolerate this and stripped them all out when I published, even though it looked fine in the preview. So I recreated the same animation using a uniquely named image file for each of the animated elements, and it worked.
  • Even when the filenames were unique, elements that started the animation from off screen did not show up when published. They did show up in the preview.

Personally, I think I would consider these to be major bugs with Captivate 2017 because:

• the preview of what you see should not be radically different than what it looks like when you publish,
  • starting an animation off screen is a normal thing and has traditionally worked in Captivate,
  • the need to duplicate animated images is a normal part of a eLearning developer's workflow

Are there any plans to implement fixes for these apparent bugs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum, you could log a bug report.

Just want to answer about the Preview not being identical to the output: that is more linked with the fact that each browser is giving its own interpretation to HTML. There is NO standard at this moment as was the case in the good old times of Flash player where output in each browser was guaranteed to be the same. Moreover any HTML webpage is meant to be viewed on a webserver, a local preview can never be perfect.

I have used motion paths starting off screen, don't remember the kind of issues you had. About duplicating; I don't fully understand your explanation, probblby due to differences in terminology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri​ I totally understand the HTML/Flash predicament, but it does not apply to this situation. In this case it did not matter what browser I previewed in. IT always showed up in the preview, and when I published it, it NEVER showed up when I loaded it to my web server and tested it.

Sorry you don't understand what I mean about the file. I provided a sample, but since you won't download it, it would be difficult for me provide a detailed enough explanation other than what I already explained: the same image was used multiple times in the  animated portion of the project. This caused it to malfunction - I tested this specifically. I had to duplicate the file and rename it for each time the file was used. Otherwise when I published there would be NO images visible in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has your web server been configured to allow JSON files?  Some images in Captivate projects (mainly PNGs) are now converted to JSON files to improve performance.  Some Captivate users are unaware that JSON is now required for HTML5 content delivered from a web server or LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you test this HTML5 published output from a web server or just locally on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard​ I tested this from my web server on 7 different browsers. I did everything right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has been configured for JSON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have a solution for you.  I downloaded your file and did some testing.  I don't understand why the Left to Right animation effect is not working as expected, but it could be as you said that if the object is starting outside the stage then it doesn't get included in the output.

So I tried removing the LeftToRight effect from a number of objects and replaced it with an EaseInFromLeft effect of a similar duration.  For this effect to work I had to move the objects to their final destinations on the slide and drag the arrow that indicates where they start from off to the left out of the stage area. 

When I tested this on a web server the objects animated as expected.  I believe this workaround would allow you to achieve the animation effect you want.

The EaseIn effects always start with a zero opacity, so there's no point having a FadeIn transition on those objects.  But if you want them to disappear later from the slide then by all means use the FadeOut Transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ron. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to check the file! I think we can both conclude that there is something wrong with the path animation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced there is a general issue with the Motion Path effect.  I just tested it using one of the PNGs from your own project file in a new blank project that I created and a LefttoRight Motion Path effect worked fine, even when I started the motion with the object outside the stage area.

So, while I do recommend you log a bug request, all we can really say is that the motion effect did not work in YOUR project.  It certainly worked in mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodWard​ the issue only happens when there is multiple iterations of the same image. So if you only did one image, it will work fine, I also tested this. I'm a pro at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I actually did 9 copies of the same image on one slide using a LefttoRight motion effect and they all worked fine when published to HTML5.

But...how could I argue with a pro?  I must have done something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources