Highlighted

Helvetica

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

(Just posted this morning.)

Client wants to use the font Helvetica, but I don't have it in my list of fonts in Captivate 2019.

I looked at fonts.adobe.com and it's not there either.

Where can I get the font Helvetica and get it installed into Captivate?

Thanks,

Bernadette

Side notes - Projects will be non-responsive and published as scalable.

Part of the reason for wanting to use a different font is that I've tried all the other web safe fonts listed in Captivate and they all appear a bit blurry when published.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Helvetica

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

(Just posted this morning.)

Client wants to use the font Helvetica, but I don't have it in my list of fonts in Captivate 2019.

I looked at fonts.adobe.com and it's not there either.

Where can I get the font Helvetica and get it installed into Captivate?

Thanks,

Bernadette

Side notes - Projects will be non-responsive and published as scalable.

Part of the reason for wanting to use a different font is that I've tried all the other web safe fonts listed in Captivate and they all appear a bit blurry when published.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me guess...your client uses a Mac and you are on a Windows box?  If you search Google for information about "Why no Helvetica in Windows OS" you will find lots of articles about this.

Helvetica is never installed by default on Windows and there's even a registry key buried deep down in the system that defaults to Arial font when it sees a call to Helvetica.  https://office-watch.com/2014/windows-substituting-arial-font-for-helvetica/

In truth, most people would never be able to tell the difference between Arial and Helvetica.  The differences are too subtle to matter.  But that doesn't stop the "branding mavens" in many organisations from making a big deal about things like this because they somehow believe the world as we know it will end if their preferred font is not used.

You CAN purchase Helvetica and get it installed on your Windows system, but that doesn't guarantee that all of the users out there that might be viewing your content in a browser on their Windows systems are going to have the font installed too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Actually, everyone is using a PC. And I originally was using Arial.

I created a non-responsive project and published it so that it is scalable and all the font in the project was using Arial. The client said the font looked blurry. And, I have to agree. When I looked at the output, the text was not sharp. After doing some research, it seems the issue is that Captivate turns text into bitmaps, which causes the blurriness. But, in the meantime, the client had some changes to make to the project, one of which was adding a tagline that had to be in Helvetica because that is what is required in their branding standards. Because (at the time), it was only one piece of text, I made that into an image. (I took the text caption from a ppt and saved as an svg). The client said the text looked better than the rest of the page, which was in Arial. So, now he wants everything to be in Helvetica because he believes the text will be sharper. It might be the case that installing Helvetica won't cure the blurry text issue (which really is my main issue), I still have to provide the client with this option and cost.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks crisp because you used a SVG format, which is vector-based, not because it was Helvetica. If you had done the same with text containers using Arial, it would have been crisp as well.  Conversion to SVG manually was also my approach when a specific font was required.

Alternative is to make each text container dynamci by inserting an empty variable which will force the font to render on runtime. Or to use a responsive project with fluid boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree/understand that it looked crisp because it was a SVG, but my supervisor still wants me to provide a cost for installing Helvetica as an option for the client to consider because that is what the client had asked for. So, while I believe installing Helvetica won't resolve the blurry text issue, it's still information I need to provide the client.

My concern is having to make ALL the text in my project a SVG, which doesn't seem to be very efficient and will be very time consuming. A while ago I tried the approach of creating a responsive project with fluid boxes, which caused some other issues (which I can't remember right now).

Can you tell  me more about your recommendation of inserting an empty variable into each text container. How would I do that?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that workflow is that it will only work if the learner has Helvetica installed on its system.  Wonder if that is a useful solution. Personally I insist with clients to use only websafe fonts or Adobe fonts. As Rod already pointed out, only a very small minority will even see the difference between Helvetica and an Adobe font which is very similar. If the learner has not installed Helvetica on the system, the dynamic text containers (with the empty variable) will revert to a generic font, in the most cases Times New Roman which is very different from Helvetica. Can you try to explain this to the client? Show a course with a quiz which has a score slide, typical example of a slide with dynamic text containers. Run it on a system which has no Helvetica installed and you'll see the result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

I too don't feel installing Helvetica is going to be a good solution for this blurry font issue.

But, seems whatever font we use, we'll get the same result of blurriness.

So, to make sure I'm understanding your solution...use dynamic text containers with a websafe font (Arial). I still don't know how to use an empty variable in a text container. Can you tell me how to do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an empty variable (user variable) and insert it at the end of each text container. Have a look at this blog, it tells more in detail how to display a variable (same workflow is valid for user variables and system variables):

http://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask if you have Scalable HTML turn on in the Publish settings?  If so, that would mean that the content gets resized automatically in the browser.  It may never be exactly 100%, which is the optimal size for clarity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, project will be non-responsive and published as scalable html.

I notice a significant difference when I published scalable vs non-scalable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0